Proposal for action: Open Network and OERs for professional development
Open Networked Model of professional development for educators based on OER
Aims of the activity (longer term)
- develop / conceptualize open and flexible framework that provides JIT learning / PD opportunities that could lead to a credential/ badge
- open to the international educational community and driven by the community
- scalable and sustainable model providing ongoing PD opportunities in a cost effective way
Objectives of the activity (short term)
- investigate what PD resources already exist and identify institutions willing to contribute them as OER and transfer to wikieducator
- identify the gaps and apply for funding "fill the gaps"
- identify appropriate tools to access and engage
- build awareness across the educational community
Narrative description of what you will do
Current PD practice not efficient or effective, under resourced at institutional level. There is replication of resource development across institutions. Educator needs for PD are diverse and changing and we have static qualifications. Developing an open networked flexible PD framework for educators will provide them with access to JIT, low cost, relevant PD / learning opportunities and a way to engage as a community of practice.
The learning resources should be as small as possible so educators can mix, match, remix, reuse, re-purpose as needed.
What inputs are required?
- PD staff mailing list for Ako
- few key stakeholders like Ako, Universities and polytechnics to engage and promote to staff
Group decisions for this activity including who and when.
- promote: OCL4ED, Learning for Content and basic Moodle skills free PD opportunities to educators to build awareness
- generate a list of NZ professional developers in the education sector
- review and refine the draft concept and framework and if possible use the OER4PAD - OERs for Professional Academic Development template
- compile a list of links to pre-existing Professional Development OER on the internet