OPTM17 Practice Management 2
Directed Learning hours: 15
Self Directed Learning hours: 35
Total Learning Hours: 50
This course aims to provide students with the skills and understanding required to manage their business strategically and to manage employed staff effectively in massage-related businesses.
At the successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Demonstrate an understanding of how their personal life-goals may relate to their business goals.
- Understand of how trends and demographics may relate to business goals, and apply this understanding in the creation and/or refinement of their business goals.
- Demonstrate an understanding of marketing concepts such as target market, market segmentation, branding and pricing, and apply this understanding to their business context.
- Demonstrate an understanding of more advanced marketing strategies such as marketing management systems, web-based marketing, retail of related health products, and networking
- Reflect on issues of sustainability as they relate to business practice.
- Demonstrate an understanding of legal and taxation issues relevant to the employment of staff
- Reflect on strategies that are commonly used to create consistent customer service when employing staff
- Demonstrate an understanding of effective operational processes and the application of these to their business context
- Demonstrate an understanding of principles relevant to financing and investment decision-making, and the application of these principles within the massage context.
- Mission statements
- Strategic management (considering markets and trends)
- Sustainable business practice
- Employing staff
- Marketing management
- Operations management
- Financial management
The following strategies may be used: • Assignments • Theoretical examination • Discussion • Reflective blogging • Online quizzes/exercises
Students will be expected to engage with online discussions and activities and in some instances, participation may be required.
Students must achieve competency in all assessment tasks for completion of this course. Students attendance and participation must also comply with the attendance requirements of the course.
Student Reading List
Required Reading Resources:
- The course lecturer may require specified resources.
Recommended Reading Resources:
- The course coordinator may recommend additional reading resources