OPTM16 Practice Management 1
Directed Learning hours: 20
Self Directed Learning hours: 30
Total Learning Hours: 50
This course aims to give students the skills and understanding needed to successfully operate a private practice.
At the successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Demonstrate an understanding of different business structures and choose the business structure which best suits their needs
- Describe processes for effective scheduling of client’s appointments
- Demonstrate an understanding of basic accounting principles including taxation
- Demonstrate an understanding of basic marketing techniques relevant to private practice.
- Create a professional business plan
- Business Structures
- Operating a private practice
- Financial Management
- Tax and GST
- Marketing the private practice
- Writing a business plan
- Ongoing education options
The following strategies may be used: • Assignments • Theoretical examination • Discussion • Reflective blogging • Research projects • Online quizzes/exercises
Students will be expected to engage with online discussions and activities and in some instances, participation may be required.
Students must achieve competency in all assessment tasks for completion of this course. Students attendance and participation must also comply with the attendance requirements of the course.
Student Reading List
Required Reading Resources:
- Roseberry, M. (2007). Marketing massage – how to build your dream practice (2nd ed.). New York: Thomson Delmar Learning.
Recommended Reading Resources:
- The course coordinator may recommend additional reading resources.