OLPC Oceania/Training/Lesson Plans/Introduction to the OLPC vision
This is a lesson plan for facilitators of OLPC Oceania trials and roll-outs in the Pacific Islands region, associated with OLPC Australia and OLPC New Zealand. For more information on OLPC Oceania click here. For the full list of lesson plans, click here
This training programme is based on the schedule used in PNG as part of the “8-country trials”. It constitutes the minimum teacher training input recommended. It would be preferable to increase the time allocated to this training substantially. We recommend that even in deployments where only one class is receiving laptops, all the teachers in the school should be trained. (In fact, they will probably demand to be trained!!). In addition, if any education officials are present, they can also be trained at the same time. Feedback: At Drekikir in PNG, the Head Teacher invited his counterparts from two nearby primary schools and the District Education Advisor and District Standards Officer.
OLPC Oceania Teacher Training: Lesson 1: Introducing the OLPC Vision
This lesson is primarily intended to be given to teachers at the participating schools. However, it may be used for any occasion where facilitators wish to raise awareness of the OLPC amongst a group of people. You will of course wish to pitch the presentation to match.
This lesson will normally be given as presentation given by the facilitator, in an informal friendly style, with frequent opportunities for discussion and feedback. The lesson plan is really just a guide.
- Introduce yourself, Pacific Islands style (explain who you are, what brought you here, about your family)
- Record the names and titles of those present.
A first look at the laptops
- Briefly show them the laptops
OLPC around the world
- Introduce them to the OLPC project. A brief history of OLPC
- Explain the 5 core principles
- Explain constructionist education theory
OLPC in Oceania
- Explain the Pacific Digital Strategy and how OLPC and RICS are components
- Briefly explain the history of OLPC Oceania leading up to the multi-country trials
- Briefly outline future prospects
OLPC in this country
- Describe any OLPC initiatives in this country
- Give names of key officials and partners
- Introduce the schedule for the trial or deployment