Proposal for Action: Develop a general education component for the 1st year of study
|OERu 2014 Events|
|OERu 14.11 Meeting of anchor partners||Homepage | Logistics | Agenda | Virtual participants | Face-to-face participants | Report|
- 1 Strategic goal
- 2 Strategic objective
- 3 Strategic approach
- 4 Key performance indicator(s) for 2015
- 5 2015 outputs
- 6 Clarifying notes, additional considerations and discussion points
- 7 Summary description
- 8 Inputs
- 9 Activity schedule
- 10 Do you have issues which should be tabled at the OERu Council of CEOs meeting?
Objective 1: Develop product for a coherent OERu programme of study
- Focus: Completion of course development for 1st year courses nominated for development.
Objective 2: Develop guidelines and implement procedures for building the OERu programme of study incorporating alternate pathways (streams)
- Guidelines for nominating courses which contribute to an idealised degree structure with pathways (streams) to achieving the BGS
- Focus: Prioritise the nomination of suitable courses for a general education component for the BGS at the 1st year level for incorporation into the idealised degree structure.
- Work within the existing degree structures and policies of partner institutions to ensure credible exit credentials.
- Maximise opportunities for sustainable course articulation within the network.
- Assemble courses from existing OER and open access materials rather than developing from scratch.
- Promote the "textbook zero" model adopting high quality open textbooks to scale rate of development incorporating engaging activities into the learning pathways which guide learners through the OERu courses.
Key performance indicator(s) for 2015
(Provide recommendation for recalibrated target if necessary)
Course completions and new course nomination targets:
- Complete 10 full course equivalents for delivery by 30 June 2015
- Complete additional 10 full course equivalents by 31 December 2015
- 80% of OERu teaching partners have nominated their 1st course contribution.
- 15 new full course equivalent nominations during 2015.
Guidelines and procedures for building the OERu programme of study:
- Publish an idealised structure for a general education component for the 1st year of OERu study to better inform new course nominations.
- Establish working group to focus on the foundation year of study to liaise with the curriculum and programme of study working group.
- Draft framework for idealised 1st year for general education studies
- Review and evaluate proposed structure for maximising articulation to OERu partners which offer the BGS
- Identify gaps between current first year course nominations and idealised structure for 1st year general education studies to inform call for nominations
- Conduct 2015 audit of new course nominations during the first quarter of 2015
Clarifying notes, additional considerations and discussion points
- Add any clarifications here
Provide short description / overview of this proposal for action here
|#||Activity||Summary description||Responsibility||Target date / Duration|
|Example||Survey 1st year BGS requirements||Conduct a survey of OERu partners with a BGS to determine subject requirements for 1st year of study||Curriculum & programme of study group (or individual / institution)||15 April 2015 (or ongoing)|
|1||Determine 1st year program||Create list of possible courses and open up for discussion. Initial thoughts around Academic English, Essential Mathematics, eLiteracy, Critical Thinking, Communication and Scholarship.||David Bull||January 2015|
|2||Determine course development strategy||Consider existing course availability and partner collaborative approaches to course development.||TBD||On-going|
|3||Seek support of new partners||Specifically target new partners for production of courses (or gaps) in the structure of the 1st year of the program. An attraction might be that the offer of 2 foundation courses might well result in students continuing with that institution for a further 24 or 32 undergraduate courses.||TBD||On-going|
|4||Explore other OER provider partner opportunities||With a view to utilising existing course materials and resources, actively search for and locate possible existing courses from other open providers (e.g. Saylor). Consideration also needs to be given to the growing production of first year open textbooks.||TBD||TBD|
|5||Seek a progression of exit points||Consider a structure of 1st year foundation courses which could result in a credible qualification (e.g. 4 courses constituting a Certificate in University Studies) which can subsequently be articulated to a second exit point with (perhaps 4 more courses) of discipline expertise (e.g. Diploma of Business Studies) which subsequently articulates with credit to the 2nd year of the Bachelor of General Studies.||TBD||TBD|
Do you have issues which should be tabled at the OERu Council of CEOs meeting?
During group discussions, if any issues arise which in your opinion should be tabled at the OERu meeting of Chief Executive Officers, please add them directly to to the CEOs issues page here.