Proposal for Action: PLAR portfolio course project
|OERu 2014 Events|
|OERu 14.11 Meeting of anchor partners||Homepage | Logistics | Agenda | Virtual participants | Face-to-face participants | Report|
- 1 Strategic goal
- 2 Strategic objective
- 3 Strategic approach
- 4 Key performance indicator(s) for 2015
- 5 2015 outputs
- 6 Clarifying notes, additional considerations and discussion points
- 7 Summary description
- 8 Inputs
- 9 Activity schedule
- 10 Do you have issues which should be tabled at the OERu Council of CEOs meeting?
Objective 1: Identify, design and implement OERu pilot projects to inform future improvements and innovations in the OERu model
- Focus: Progress implementation of the PLAR portfolio course project
- The OERu subscribes to a design-based research approach where pilots are conceptualised and implemented iteratively in authentic settings.
- Project steps are informed by a series of Probe (making a change), Sense (review), Respond (act) cycles so that each iteration is small enough to fail but when aggregated help to inform overall decision-making.
Key performance indicator(s) for 2015
(Provide recommendation for recalibrated target if necessary)
Progress the implementation of 2 pilot projects
- Progress the collaborative design and development of a credit bearing OERu course on how to develop a Recognition of Prior Learning Portfolio
- Identify OERu partners who will participate in the project
- Review and refine TESC course contributions for international audience.
Clarifying notes, additional considerations and discussion points
- Athabasca PLAR focuses on competencies within a subject area, not on course-based approaches.
- Thomas Edison State College uses a course-challenge method.
- Do we need a common idea of what university-level Prior Learning is?
- Reflection and metacognition are ideas not always familiar to students.
- Could PLA/RPL be used for block credits or just course-based credits that can be articulated across institutions?
- How would assessment work--how would costs be shouldered by institutions?
Determine which parts of the TESC PLA courses could be integrated into the Open Curriculum Design microcourse for teachers.
Explore whether the course could be repurposed/dual-purposed to focus on reflection of adult learning or self-management of learning.
Determine whether there is a common undrstanding of how PLAR/RPL could be used within a degree program or the OERu BGS degree pathway.
WIll we consider block credits or competency-based approaches to recognizing students' prior learning/integration with new learning?
- The LearningCounts.org Portfolio Development Courses
- TESC Prior Learning Assessment and Portfolio Development Course (PLA 100)
- TESC Prior Learning Assessment and Portfolio Development Course (PLA 200)
|#||Activity||Summary description||Responsibility||Target date / Duration|
|Example||Survey 1st year BGS requirements||Conduct a survey of OERu partners with a BGS to determine subject requirements for 1st year of study||Curriculum & programme of study group (or individual / institution)||15 April 2015 (or ongoing)|
Do you have issues which should be tabled at the OERu Council of CEOs meeting?
During group discussions, if any issues arise which in your opinion should be tabled at the OERu meeting of Chief Executive Officers, please add them directly to to the CEOs issues page here.