Makerere University Institute of Environment and Natural Resources. Married and and father of five children Was born in Bukavu-South Kivu on 22/04/1964. e-mail address: firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, Tel: +256782428260,
AWARDS AND FELLOWSHIPS
- World Bank/LVEMP scholarship, 2000-2004
- DAAD sur place scholarship, 1995-1998
- DAAD sur place scholarship, 1990-1994
- Applied physics (statistical physics, quantum theories)
- Environmental Sciences
- Soil and water conservation
- Modeling, GIS and RS
- 2008: Associate Professor, Makerere University Institute of Environment and Natural Resources
- 2005: Part time Lecturer Soil Science Department, Faculty of Agriculture, Makerere-University
- 1988-1989: Part time Lecturer, Institut Supérieur de l’Audio-visuel, Bukavu-D.R.C
- 1989-1995. Assistant lecturer, Institut Supérieur Pédagogique de Bukavu, D.R.C
RS AND GIS APPLICATIONS
LAND USE PLANNING
1. Mubiru J., Karume K., Majaliwa M., Banda E.J.K.B, and Otiti T. 2006. Investigating methods for Interpolating solar radiation in Uganda. Journal of Theoretical and Applied Climatology. Springer Verlag Vienna.
2. Lufafa, A., Tenywa, M.M., Isabirye, M., Majaliwa, J.G.M. and Woomer, P.L. 2002. Prediction of soil erosion in a Lake Victoria Basin catchment using GIS-based Universal soil loss model. Accepted 1st March 2002 in Agricultural Systems. Copyright ©2002 Published by Elsevier Science LtD.
3. Tenywa, M.M., Zake, J.Y.K., Sessanga, S., Majaliwa, J.G.M., Kawongolo, J.B., and Bwamiki, D. 2000. Changes in water infiltration along a catena prior to mechanized clearing operations and after two cropping seasons. African Crop Sci. J.8(3):233-242.
4. Majaliwa J.G.M., Magunda, M.K, Tenywa, M.M., Isabirye M. 2003. Interrill erodibility pattern of a toposequence in a selected micro-catchment of the Lake Victoria Basin. East African Journal of Agriculture and Forestry, pp 15-19.
5. Magunda M.K. and Majaliwa J.G.M. 2002. A review of the effects of population pressure on watershed management practices in the Lake Victoria Basin. African journal of tropical hydrobiology and fisheries, pp 79-91.
6. Wasige, E. J., Tenywa, M.M., Byalebeka, J. B., Majaliwa, M. J. G., and Lufafa, A., 2001. Evaporation measurement and validation of meteorological models. MUARIK BULLETIN, vol 5, 88-91
7. Majaliwa, J.G.M, Magunda, M.K., Tenywa M.M., and Semalulu, O. 2003. Soil erosion and pollution loading
8 Magunda, M.K., Majaliwa, J.G.M., Tenywa, M.M. and Musitwa F. 2003. Runoff, soil and nutrient losses from from agricultural land in Bukoora sub-catchment. Uganda Journal of Agricultural Sciences: 305-312.
9 Abesige , N.K.C, Magunda, M.K., Huising, J.E.; and Majaliwa, J.G.M. 2003. The Effect of water harvesting on species diversity and overall rangeland recovery in Kagera micro-catchment. African Journal of Tropical Hydrobiology and Fisheries, Vol 11, N0 1:128-144
10 Magunda, M.K., Majaliwa, J.G.M, Tenywa M.M. and Musitwa F. 2003. Runoff, soil and nutrient losses from major agricultural land-use practices in the Lake Victoria basin, Uganda. African Journal of Tropical Hydrobiology and Fisheries, Vol 11, N0 1:87-103
11 Majaliwa J.G.M, and Tenywa M.M. 1998. Infiltration characteristics of soils of the Kyetume ridge, Kabanyolo-Uganda. MUARIK BULLETIN, Vol. 1, pp 57-65, 1998.
- Tenywa, M.M., Majaliwa, J.G.M. and Lufafa, A. 2002. Soil Resilience. Encyclopedia of Soil Science ENCL 66-10/10/2001-01558. Copyright ©2002 by Marcel Dekker, Inc.
- Tenywa, M.M., J.G.M. Majaliwa, M.K. Magunda, R. Lal, and G. Taulya. 2005. Dynamics of Carbon Sequestration in Various Agroclimatic Zones of Uganda. In : Lal, R., Uphoff, N., Stewart, B.A., and Hansen, D.O., Climate change and global food security, pp 501-514
- Tenywa, M.M. R. Lal and Majaliwa J.G.M. 1999. Characterization of the stages of soil resilience to degradative stresses; soil erosion. Paper presented to the 10th International Soil Conservation Organization meeting held May 23rd -25th, 1999 at Purdue University, West Lafayette, Indiana, USA.
- Magunda, M.K., Tenywa, M.M., Majaliwa, J.G .M. and Musiitwa, F. 1999. Soil loss and runoff from agricultural landuse systems in the Sango bay micro-catchment of the Lake Victoria. Proceedings of the 17th Conference and Silver Jubilee celebrations of the Soil Science Society of East Africa. pp. 227-230. ISBN 9966-879-27-7.
- Mosango M., Apolot M., Baraza L.J., Kanalo J., Majaliwa J.G.M., Masete P. and Mbuliro M.2002. Diversité, densité et distribution des espèces herbacées du sous-bois de la forêt dense humide de montagne de la région de Kibale Mountain (Ouest de l’Ouganda), paper presented at the conference on "Phytosociologie et dynamique des végétations de montagne", 8th- 13 July 2002, Alpes de Haute Provence, Peyresq/Annot , Belgium.
- Mosango M. and Majaliwa J.G.M 2002. Rôles de l'association à Trema orientalis dans la reconstitution de la forêt dense humide de montagne à l'ouest de l'Ouganda, paper presented at the conference on "Phytosociologie et dynamique des végétations de montagne", 8th- 13 July 2002, Alpes de Haute Provence, Peyresq/Annot , Belgium.
- Lufafa, A., M.M. Tenywa, P.L. Woomer, M.J.G. Majaliwa and F. Kizito. 2003. Towards a Decision support system for smallholder banana management in Uganda: modeling yield using GIS and an aggregated model. Proceedings of the 20th conference of the Soil Science Society of East Africa. 2nd-6th December, Mt Elgon Hotel, Mbale Uganda, 289-292.
- Majaliwa, J.G.M, Magunda, M.K., Tenywa M.M., and Kamutunga E. 2004. Effect of rainfall intensity on soil phosphorus loss from major agricultural land-use types in a sub-catchment of the Lake Victoria basin. Proceedings of the 20th conference of the Soil Science Society of East Africa. 2nd-6th December, Mt Elgon Hotel, Mbale Uganda, 315-320.
- Wasige, E.J. Tenywa, M.M., Majaliwa, J.G.M., Byalebeka, J.B., Lufafa, A., and Gowing J. 2004. Validation of meteorological models for estimating evapotranspiration in the Lake Kyoga basin, Uganda. Proceedings of the 20th conference of the Soil Science Society of East Africa. 2nd-6th December, Mt Elgon Hotel, Mbale Uganda, 326-331.
- Abesige , N.K.C, Magunda, M.K., Mosango, M; and Majaliwa, J.G.M. 2004. Influence of water harvesting on occurrence of palatable plant species in the rangelands of Rakai district-Uganda. Proceedings of the 20th conference of the Soil Science Society of East Africa. 2nd-6th December, Mt Elgon Hotel, Mbale Uganda, 289-292.
- Majaliwa, J.G.M, Magunda, M.K., Tenywa M.M. 2004. Non-point pollution loading in a selected micro-catchment of the Lake Victoria basin. In the proceedings of the Ninth International Symposium on river Sedimentation (9th ISRS) Yichang, China, 2206-2211
- Abesige, N.K.C, Magunda, M.K., and Majaliwa, J.G.M. 2004. Rangeland recovery trends after establishment of contour bunds in selected Lake Victoria Micro-catchments. In the proceedings of the Ninth International Symposium on river Sedimentation (9th ISRS) Yichang, China, 2233-2236
- Mubiru J., Karume K., Majaliwa M., Banda E.J.K.B, and Otiti T.2004. Evaluation of methods for interpolation of solar radiation in Uganda, Paper presented at the 8th College on Thin Film Technology, July 26 - August 6, University of Dar es Salaam, Tanzania.
- Karume K., Mubiru J. Kakeeto J.and Majaliwa M., 2005. Use of Solar Energy to Power Road Traffic Lights in Uganda, 2nd Asian Renewable Energy Fair & Conference (REAsia 2005), May 23-27, China International Exhibition Center, Beijing
- Karume K., Otiti T, Banda E.J.K.B and Majaliwa M., 2005. Hydropower Potential Sites in Uganda Albertine Rift Region, The 9th World Multiconference on Systemics, Cybernetics and Informatics (WMSCI 2005), July 10-13, Orlando, USA
- Karume K., Otiti T, Banda E.J.K.B and Majaliwa M., 2005. Domestic Energy Choice for Urban Areas of Uganda: Kampala Case, WSEAS Conference Proceedings + WSEAS Journal ENERGY, ENVIRONMENT, ECOSYSTEMS, SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT 2005 Conference, July 12-14, Vouliagmeni, Athens, Greece
- Karume K., Banda E.J.K.B., Mubiru J. and Majaliwa M. 2005. Prediction of Biomass Change in Mbarara District- Uganda Using Climatic Parameters from 1984 to 2003. Paper presented at NUFU Workshop, August 17, Makerere University, Uganda.
- Nakileza B,R. and Majaliwa J.G.M. 2004. Rainfall simulation for improved land management in the highland/mountain environment of Uganda. Pp 16-20. Edit Obua J, Nakileza B.R and Okello Ogwang. Mountain resource centre, Makerere University, Kampala, Uganda
- Nantumbwe, C.N, j Obua , M.M. Tenywa Moses, B.R. Nakileza and Majaliwa J.G.M Land use and cover monitoring on the slope of Mt. Elgon using GIS: A case study of Wanale and Manafwa catchment. Pp 47-54. in Mountain ecosystems, resources and development in Uganda. Edit Obua J, Nakileza B.R and Okello Ogwang. Mountain resource centre, Makerere University, Kampala, Uganda
- Musiime Owen. Faculty of Agriculture, Makerere University, abandonned
- David Nanfumba. Faculty of Agriculture, Makerere University completed
- Patricia Namwanda. Institute of Environment and Natural Resources, Makerere University, completed
- Kiiza Luswata. Institute of Environment and Natural Resources, Makerere University submitted
- Department of Geography: 2 students
- MUIENR: 4 students
- Faculty of Forestry and Nature Conservation: 1
- Djossa Bienvenue
- Yazidhi Bamutaze
- David Mfutumukiza
- GIS Applications to strengthen decentralized local government planning and decision making in rice production systems of Uganda. Donor: Rockefeller Foundation (2004-2006). Amount: $65000
- Combining Systematic and Participatory Approaches for Developing and Promoting Sustainable Land and Water Management. Donor: European Union (2000-2002). Amount: $123000
- Water balance studies to mitigate drought induced crop failure in the Lake Kyoga basin. Donor: Rockefeller Foundation (2001-2003). Emount: $75000.
- Land Use and Climate Change Effects on livelihoods and Sediment and Carbon loading in the Lake Tanganyika Region, START (2007-2008), $15,000
- Lake Victoria Environmental Management Project, World Bank funded project (1998-2005), $40,000,000
- Bridging restoration and multi functionality in degraded forest landscape of eastern Africa and Indian Ocean (2005-2009). EU funded project, Amount €1,500,000.