Internet & Web development (2)/Course materials/Web Site Management/Promotion
|Internet & Web development (2)|
|Web Site Management||Roles | Management team | User expectations | Content management | Site Maintenance | Policies and Guidelines | Promotion | Risk Management|
- Without effective promotion, your website is unlikely to be seen as often as you would like.
- As you have invested time and money in the site, promoting it certainly makes sense.
- The site will not achieve the aims hoped for if the target audiences do not know it is there and are not often reminded of it.
- The person or people in an organisation who have the responsibility for marketing should develop and help implement a website promotional strategy.
By the end of this page you will be able to:
A promotional strategy should address:
- who is managing the strategy and the decision-making paths
- promotional techniques (see the next topics in this section of the website for promotional ideas) – for each ask:
- why deploy this technique?
- how will it be deployed?
- who will do it?
- what is the implementation schedule?
- what resources are required – people, money and equipment?
- what are expected benefits – and how will they be measured?
- risk management strategies – what could go wrong and how you will deal with it
- the internal communication plan – how the strategy will be explained and sold to everyone in the organisation, its sponsors and supporters
- its strategic fit with your organisation’s marketing plan
- the evaluation plan – what processes and criteria will be used to assess the success of the strategy and how any necessary changes will be made.
- Register with an existing search engine
- Do it yourself (may be free)
- Ask someone else to do it
- Advertising the organisation’s website address in traditional media
- radio programs
Ensure that the website’s domain name appears, or is mentioned, whenever you have interaction with clients or customers.
- letterheads, invoices, receipts and envelopes
- business cards
- packaging, wrappers
- signage on buildings, windows, vehicles
- recorded messages on staff mobiles and the office switchboard number
Other promotional methods you might consider include:
- issuing press releases about virtual events, additional features on the website or reaching milestones
- entering Internet awards
- inviting reviewers to review the site and write it up in magazines and newspapers.