- 1 Personal Information
- 2 Educational Background
- 3 Certificates of Training
- 4 Professional Experience
- 5 Management responsibilities
- 6 Area of Research Interest
- 7 Courses Thought
- 8 Biodata Summary
- 9 PAPA
- Girmay Tesfay Belay
Date of Birth
- December 31, 1972
Place of Birth
- Mekelle, Ethiopia
- Mekelle University
- Faculty of Dryland Agriculture and Natural Resources
- P.O. Box 231
- Mekelle, Ethiopia
- Tel. 00 251 344 409015
- Fax 00 251 344 409304
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- P. O. Box 47, Mekelle, Tigray, Ethiopia
- Tel. 00 251 914 707200 (Mobile)
- 00 251 344 405329 (Residence)
- Email: email@example.com
- PhD in Social Sciences (in Development Economics and Policy), December 5, 2006, Wageningen University, the Netherlands
- M. Sc. Degree in Rural Resource Management (in March 1996), University of North Wales, Bangor, UK
- B. Sc. Degree in Agricultural Economics, August 28, 1993, Alemaya University, Ethiopia
Certificates of Training
- Training on ‘Resource Flow Mapping in Tropical Farming Systems (RFM), organized by TSBF-CIAT, ICRAF, 14-25 April 2003, Nairobi, Kenya.
- Advanced training on "Property rights structures and environmental resources management," organized by the Beijer Institute, March 2001, Luxor, Egypt.
- Training on Food Security Policy, August 28 to September 4, 1999, in Addis Ababa, Organized by GTZ and Food Security Desk of Tigray, Ethiopia.
- Course on Attachments and Practical Teaching, from February 2 to 20, 1998, in Deventer, Organized by Larenstien International Agricultural College, The Netherlands.
- International course in Curriculum Development, from August 28 to September 19, 1997, in Deventer, Organized by Larenstien International Agricultural College, The Netherlands.
- Assistant Professor, Mekelle University, Ethiopia, January 1, 2007 to present
- Lecturer, Mekelle University, Ethiopia, May 1996 –2001, 2003-2004
- Assistant Lecturer, Mekelle University, December 1995- April 1996
- Graduate Assistant, Mekelle University, October 1993- July 1994
- Dean, Faculty of Dryland Agriculture and Natural Resources, Mekelle University, April 2007 to present.
- Member of Mekelle University Senate, April 2007 to present
- Member of the National Taskforce for Agriculture, Natural Resources and Veterinary Sciences Curriculum Change, February 2008 to present.
- Team leader, Mekelle University Academic Business Process Reengineering, May 2007 to present.
- Head of the Department of Natural Resources Economics and Management, Mekelle University, April 2003 to present.
- Local Project Coordinator, ‘Policies for Sustainable Land Management in the Highlands of Tigray’, a collaborative research project between the International Livestock Research Institute, the International Food Policy Research, the Mekelle University, October 1998 –August 2001.
- Vice Dean, Faculty of Dryland Agriculture and Natural Resources, Mekelle University, June 2000- August 2001.
- Registrar Officer, Mekelle University, January 1995 - October 1999.
Area of Research Interest
- Rural development policy, natural resources management, farm management and agricultural extension, agricultural economics and marketing, impact assessment related to irrigation development and conservation projects and biofuel.
Five research projects registered under the research directorate of Mekelle University:
- Assessment of the functioning and impact of land and water contracts under irrigated farming in the Highlands of Northern Ethiopia, Funded by DCG-Norway, January –December 2007
- Feasibility of Jatropha as a biofuel crop in Tigary and Afar Regions, North Ethiopia, Funded by DCG-Norway
- Issuing user titles under public ownership of land: effect on compensation, land markets, crop productivity and conservation investment, Funded by NORAD, 2005 to present
- Issuing of title to users under public ownership of land: compensation issues, Funded by NORAD, 2005 to present
- Roof water harvesting for domestic water supply: a case study of Mekelle City and Selected Towns of Tigray, Ethiopia, March 2007 to present
- Assessment of the potential of the Afar Region for Gum and Resin Production and Marketing Opportunities, contracted from Afar Bureau of Agriculture and Postoral Development.
Completed Research and Consultancy
- Researcher team member ‘On-farm water harvesting for rainfed agriculture development and food security in Tigray: Investigation of technical and socioeconomic issues,’ Sponsored by the MU-WHO/SAREC and Dryland Coordination Group Ethio-Sudan, June 2003-2005.
- Research team member “Policies for Sustainable Land Management in the Highlands of Tigray,” a collaborative research project between the International Livestock Research Institute, the International Food Policy Research, the Mekelle University, October 1998- August 2001.
- Research team member, Land Tenure Issues in Small Scale Irrigation Development in Tigray, Ethiopia, 1999/2000.
- Socio-economic baseline survey of the Southern Tigray, Ethiopia. June 1998 -March 1999. As a socio-economist in a multidisciplinary team.
- The Rama River Diversion Feasibility and Design Study, March to May 1998, Team member.
- Tigray Crop Pest Management and Control Strategy and Action Program. With staff from the Tigray Bureau of Agriculture and Natural Resources, August to September 1996.
- Baseline survey on Green Promotion Tembien and environmental rehabilitation, for h Japan International Cooperation and Relief Society of Tigray, March to June 1995.
- The assessment of the status of Traditional Irrigation Practices and Use of Micro-dams in Tigray, With Bureau of Agriculture, November 1993.
Seminar and Workshop Participation
- Workshop on ‘Information and experience sharing workshop on DCG's research results in 2007’, Organized by DCG-Ethiopia and Mekelle University, March 31, 2008. (Presented paper).
- Conference on ‘THEORETICAL TOPICS in ECOLOGICAL ECONOMICS, 27 January - 28 February 2003, Organized by the School of Ecological Economics, the ABDUS SALAM ICTP, Trieste, Italy. (Presented paper).
- Seminar on "Development Strategies for less-favoured areas," organized by Wageningen University and IFPRI, July 12-13, 2002, The Netherlands (Presented paper).
- Regional Workshop on "Policies for sustainable land management in the Highlands of Eastern Africa," Organized by ILRI and IFPRI, April 23-25, 2002, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
- Workshop on ‘Current Issues on land tenure in Ethiopia,’ April 6-7, 2001, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. (Presented paper).
- Advanced Workshop on “Property rights structures and environmental resources management” organized by the Beijer Institute, March 10-19, 2001, Luxor, Egypt. (Presented paper).
- National Workshop on "Policies for sustainable land management in the Highlands of Ethiopia," Organized by ILRI and IFPRI, May 22-23, 2000Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. (Presented paper).
- Principles Economic with Micro focus, 1996,1997, 1998, 1999, 2000
- Production Economics and Farm Management, 1996,1997, 1998, 1999, 2000
- Farming Systems and Systems Research, 1996,1997, 1998, 1999, 2000
- Economics of Erosion and Soil and Water Conservation, 1996,1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2007
- Introduction to Natural Resources Economics, 1999, 2000, 2001
- Economics of Agriculture and Policy,1998, 1999
- Agricultural Extension, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999
- Advanced approaches to Sustainable Land Management, 2007, 2008
- Agricultural Marketing and Food Policy, 2008
[PARTICIPANT ACTION PLAN APPROACH]
Ideas for Action Items
Dryland Agriculture and Natural Resources
Natural Resources Economics and Management (NREM)
I have the following ideas for trying out at my department after participating in this training
- Prepare a feedback report about the training
- Information sharing seminar on the wikieducator training
- Creat discussion forum/page on the Intranet of Mekelle University and use it for staff discussion at the department of NREM
- Creat database for staff members of my department/NREM/
- Creat a database for the research activities of my department
- Develop a page for discussion on research progress for all projects that I am a member
Workshop title: COL/CTA/RUFORUM Web 2.0 Training for Research Support and Networking
Venue: Uganda, Mokono, Rider Hotel
Name: Girmay Tesfay
Institution: Mekelle University, Department of Natural Resources Economics and Management
|Action Items||Start to implement action plan (check if known)|
|I plan to||Within 2 months||After 2 months||As arises|
|Prepare a feedback report about the training||X||.||.|
|Information sharing seminar on the wikieducator training||X||.||.|
|Creat discussion forum/page on the Intranet||X||.||.|
|Creat database for staff members of my department/NREM||.||X||.|
|Creat a database for the research activities||.||X||.|
|Develop a discussion page for one project that I am a member||X||.||.|
|Develop a discussion page for all projects that I am a member||.||X||.|