Date & Time : 3, July 2022 16:06
Phylum - Porifera
Class - Hexactinellida
Order - Amphidiscophora
Genus - Hyalonema
Glass rope sponge
It is found along new England coast.
Hyalonema is a marine form found 10-15 meters deep in sea.
- It has a rounded or oval body with a spirally twisted root tuft.
- Spicules of root tuft continue through the sponge body as an axis or collumella and projects above as a gastral cone.
- Root spicules are compact, stalk-like and twisted giving the appearance of a rope.
- Middle part of collumella has symbiotic polyps.
- Skeleton consists of small amphidisc sspicules which are siliceous in nature.
- Extending from all over the surface are small, branching, five-rayed spicules.