Date & Time : 28, November 2023 09:42
Phylum - Cnidaria
Class - Anthozoa
Order - Stolonifera
Genus - Tubipora
Organ pipe coral
Habit and Habitat
It is a marine and colonial form. It is widely distributed on the coral reefs in warm waters.
- Colony is made up of long and upright polyps.
- Each polyp lives in a separate tube, which are parallel to each other.
- Polyps are connected to each other by horizontal stolons at particular intervals.
- Polyps are bright green in colour.
- Skeleton is red in colour due to presence of iron salts.
- Mesogleal Spicules are fused and closely fitted which forms the continuous tube for each polyp.
- Skeleton is covered by an ectoderm and is thus internal.
- Reproduction is asexual by budding.