Date & Time : 20, May 2022 00:26
Sea anemone or Plumose anemone
Found on the Atlantic Coast, Northen Pacific coast and Europe.
It is marine and sessile form, found attached to the rocks and solid objects; from tide pools to a depth of 90 fathoms.
- Body is cylindrical and divisible into 3 distinct reagions; pedal disc, column and oral disc.
- Body size may vary from few centimeters to 1 meter.
- Pedal disc (foot) helps in attachment with substratum.
- Column is diffrentiated into two parts: Capitulum(thin-walled) and Scapus(thick-walled.
- The wall of scapus is perforated by small openings called cinclides.
- Oral disc has a mouth in the centre which is surrounded by numerous tentacles.
- Mouth opens into gastrovascular cavity via a short gullet.
- Sea anemones are predaceous, immobilizing their prey with the aid of specialized stinging cells called nematocysts.
- They feed on small planktons.
- Sexes are separate. Gonads are present on mesentries.