Date & Time : 7, July 2022 00:55
Phylum - Cnidaria
Class - Hydrozoa
Order - Hydroida
Genus - Hydra
Cosmopolitan, but most common in India, Canada and U.S.A.
It is freshwater solitary animal found attached to some objects in ponds, lakes and streams.
- Hydra is elongated, cylindrical and measures 1-3cm in length.
- Proximal end of body is known as Basal disc or foot, and is used for locomotion.
- The free distal end bears mouth situated on a conical elevation called the Hypostome.
- Hypostome is encircled by 6-10 tentacles which are finger-like, hollow projection provided with nematocytes.
- Body wall is Diploblastic.
- Digestive cavity or GASTROVASCULAR CAVITY is enclosed by body wall.
- Reproduction by both sexual and asexual means.
- Gonads appear as buds on the sides of body.
- Testes lie near the oral end and ovaries near the base.