Date & Time : 22, September 2023 13:24
Common Name: Sea mouse
Distribution: found in U.S.A.
Habit and Habitat: marine and burrowing form.
- Body shape - oval,dorso-ventrally flattened.
- Length - 7.5 to 12.5 cm with 30-35 segments.
- Ventral surface- It is flat and segmented, consists of stiff setae and forms the creeping sole of the body.
- Dorsal surface- It contains soft notopodial long setae (irridescent, modified) orming a felt like covering on the surface. Dorsal cirri are modified into plate like structure called Elytra( 15 pair)..
- Head- situated anteriorly having a median tentacle and a pair of lateral palps.
- There are greatly modified parapodia in Aphrodite.
- There are three types of setae present in notopodia. The organism is identified on the basis of these setae:-
- Soft setae-These setae forms the creeping sole of ventral surface.
- stiff setae-These soft notopodial setae are modified into the felt like covering of dorsal surface.
- iridescent setae.
- Anus-It is situated posteriorly on the dorsal surface.