Demonstrate leadership skills in a tour context/Activities/Role play and discussion
At the end of this task students will better understand the different type of leadership styles and how they can be applied in a tourism context. They will also have demonstrated interpersonal skills required when leading a group. (Covers Unit 18364, Element 1 and Element 2)
Divide class into 4 groups; each group is to be given one of the four leadership styles
- Each group is then to investigate the meaning and characteristics of their given style and come up with a role-play situation chosen from the scenarios below that clearly demonstrates these.
- Each group will then perform their role-play to the other groups.
- Before the role-play begins the meaning and characteristics of the given leadership style will be presented to the other groups and handed into the lecturer as evidence.
- Working as a driver guide leading a 2 day charter nature tour through The Catlins. Clients are a middle aged party of 4 friends.
- Working as a tour guide on a Bus Tour taking 35 tourists to Milford Sound day trip from Queenstown. Clients have booked independently and are of mixed nationality. The schedule is tight as everyone is booked on a 1.00 pm cruise in Milford Sound. The bus has many stops en-route for photos, short walks, toilets as well as a ½ hour break in Te Anau.
- Guiding a hiking day trip up the Routeburn Track. The objective of the day is to reach the Routeburn Falls hut and return. The party is of 10 people. Two are very slow and although they are keen to continue going at their pace none of the group will make it to the hut and back. Some of the other members are getting a little annoyed at being held back.
- Working as a horse trekking guide taking ½ day treks. Clients are a group of young exchange students. Some are quite unruly and have a tendency not to listen to instructions and play up to the rest of the group.
- Working as guide taking 2 hour City Walking Tours around historic points of interest in the city centre. Guiding a mixed age, mixed nationality group of 6