Unit ID: TOUR1007a Domain TOUR GUIDING Title: Provide customer care in tour guiding operations Level: 2 Credits: 4
This unit standard specifies the competency required to provide customer care to guests. It includes meeting and greeting visitors, maintaining good guest relations and working with people who have special needs. This unit standard is intended for those who work as tour guides.
1. Entry information:
• TOUR1001a Maintain occupational health and safety procedures in tour guiding operations or demonstrated equivalent knowledge and skills
2. This unit standard is to be delivered and assessed in the context of tour guiding operations and should be assessed in conjunction with other relevant technical unit standards selected from this domain.
3. To demonstrate competence, at a minimum, evidence is required of meeting and greeting visitors, maintaining good guest relations and working with people who have special needs.
4. Assessment evidence may be collected from a real workplace, or simulated real workplace or an appropriate simulated realistic environment in which tour guiding operations are carried out.
5. Tour guides must comply with the Namibia Tourism Board’s Code of Conduct for Tour Guides.
6. Regulations and legislation relevant to this unit standard include the following: Labour Act No 6, 1992 The Social Security Act 1994 The Employee Compensation Amendment Act 5 of 1995 Liquor Act 6 of 1998 Public Health Amendment Act 45 of 1976 The International Health Regulation Act 28 of 1974 Nature Conservation Ordinance 4 of 1975 Namibia Tourism Board Act 21 of 2000 Road Traffic and Transport Act, No. 22 of 1999 Road Traffic & Transport Regulation of 2001 Occupational Health and Safety Regulations No.18, 1997 and all subsequent amendments
Quality Assurance Requirements
This unit standard and others within this subfield may be awarded by institutions which meet the accreditation requirements set by the Namibia Qualifications Authority and the Namibia Training Authority and which comply with the national assessment and moderation requirements. Details of specific accreditation requirements and the national assessment arrangements are available from the Namibia Qualifications Authority and the Namibia Training Authority on www.nta.com.na
Elements and Performance Criteria
Element 1: Meet and greet visitors
Local conditions may include but are not limited to drinking water quality, crime, electricity connections, currency, terrain, languages spoken in local area.
1.1 Visitors are met and welcomed in line with organizational procedures.
1.2 Tour guide introduces self and other members of tour group to guests in line with organisational procedures.
1.3 Tour programme is explained to visitors in line with organisational procedures.
1.4 Advice is provided to visitors on clothing, equipment and other requirements they may need during the tour in line with organizational requirements.
1.5 Information on local conditions is provided to visitors in line with organizational procedures.
Element 2: Maintain good guest relations
2.1 The different types of guests and their needs, expectations and interests are identified and provided for in a timely manner.
2.2 A relaxed and friendly environment in the tour group is established and maintained.
2.3 Good communication with guests is maintained.
2.4 Enthusiasm, motivation and interest are demonstrated in dealings with guests and visitors at all times.
2.5 Accurate information is provided in response to guest enquiries within scope of individual authority and knowledge, or guests are referred to alternative sources when personal authority and knowledge are exceeded.
2.6 Guest comments are acknowledged and processed.
Element 3: Work with people who have special needs
Special dietary requirements may include but are not limited to Diabetes, food allergies, vegetarianism.
Special health needs may include but are not limited to chronic illness, ailments, injuries.
Other special requirements may relate to mobility, child care, physical and intellectual challenges.
3.1 Guests with special dietary requirements are provided for in line with organizational procedures.
3.2 Guests with special health needs are provided for in line with organizational procedures.
3.3 Guests with other special requirements are provided for in line with organizational procedures.
Subfield: Hospitality and Tourism
Date first registered: Date this version registered: Anticipated review:
Body responsible for review: Namibia Training Authority