Computers in Education
- 1 Suggestive Curriculum Framework for using computers in Teacher Training Programme: “Computers in Education”
- 2 Real life uses of Computers in Education
- 3 Framework for using Computers in Education
- 4 COMPUTERS IN EDUCATION (CORE PAPER):(A Model Syllabus)
Suggestive Curriculum Framework for using computers in Teacher Training Programme:
“Computers in Education”
Abstract: Computers have become the life line of young generation. The present generation students like to embrace all the things in the ambit of this modern technology. The educators are feeling shy and reluctant to accept technology as their work partner. Will our present and the immediate next generation educators like to view the gap widening between them and further generation students in terms of usage of technology for teaching learning purpose or they would like to modernize themselves in the struggle to keep intact their responsible professional position intact? Are universities and institutions in the field of teacher education focusing upon the courses for using computers in education or they simply feel delighted to see the state boards at school level and National/State councils for Educational Research and Training are advancing at great speed to plan out integration of technology with education with teachers struggling to complete even the prescribed syllabus?
To ‘teach’is one of the simplest tasks! Just you know the content and “make available” a student willing to learn; start teaching. You may pursue a diploma/degree in education for teaching in more formalized structure. After completing a formal teacher training course, a teacher gets a tag of “A Qualified Teacher”. But does this really provide courage and confidence to face A MODERN TECHNOLOGICAL HIGH TECH CLASS OF YOUNG GENERATION? Today students of this modern generation are much advanced and smarter than their teachers in terms of usage of modern technical gadgets. It looks as if technology had been with the children since birth, especially computers been an integral part of child’s life and personality. He/she would once forget what his/her parents had instructed, but would never forget to be “Online” at a specified time to join his/her friends at chat room.
But they even want that computers should be there for their routine ‘boring education’, although not at the cost of their dearly loved teachers. Students are ready to accept the changes in their learning styles, but their teachers are feeling feared that computers are complicated to handle, if they are used in education for teaching learning purpose and computers might substitute the traditional teachers. Neither the pre-service teacher training courses are focusing to include computers in integration with education, nor are the in-service trainings focusing upon using computers in education. Schools all over the country are demanding teachers who are ready to initiate the process of Computer Assisted Instructions and initialize integration of technology with education, but the teachers we are producing are just like the conventional and that too overlapped with traditional methods of teaching. When the time will come, that universities and institutions in the field of teacher education, feel an urge to revise their curriculum keeping in view the modern technological changed society?
In order to meet the challenges provided by present society, many universities in the field of Teacher Education had introduced an optional course in computers. This only brought awareness about computers in the field of Teacher Education. The student-teachers were made to know about basic computer hardware and some software application packages. But keeping in mind the interest and psychology of modern learner, many universities tried to ‘Integrate Technology with Education’. They primarily focused upon use of computers in education hence; they initiated to teach a core paper “Computers in Education” with other foundation papers in education, so as to initiate a process of making a relation between teacher-computer-student.
Although National Curriculum Framework (NCF 2005) and Curriculum Framework for Teacher Education (2006) prepared by National Council For Teacher Education in collaboration with National Council of Educational Research and Training, had urged to focus upon integration of technology with education, yet many universities not bothered to reframe their traditional curriculum for Teacher Education. And those universities who tried to initiate the process were faced by different challenges including lack of specialists and professionals to frame proper curriculum, curriculum as per needs of modern developing India with global economy, teacher educators and study material for such curriculum etc. There are indeed many specialized teachers and a plethora of study material for technical knowledge in computers, but we lack teacher educators and resources for teaching computers in relation to education. We indeed lack Teacher Educators who are willing to integrate technology with education.
A suggestive curriculum framework needs to be framed by National Council for Teacher Education and hence appropriate syllabus should be developed by different universities and authoritative institutions in the field of Teacher Education, so as to cover the prescribed framework.
But before that, let we see some of the
Encourage cooperation amoung students
Real life uses of Computers in Education
Teaching Learning process
- Instructing the students using PowerPoint slides, Word documents or Web pages and using hyperlinks for better concept clarity.
- Helps in improving pronunciation of students by using microphones, headphones, speakers, specially prepared software and special dedicated websites.
- Video conferencing, chat and email helps in better communication, hence better concept clarity. Also concept of E-tutor has given access to teachers instantly and given teachers a better chance to earn.
- Current syllabus can be viewed through website of the concerned school board; made available to students if teacher has made a website and uploaded using Internet; and updating- using web could be done easily.
- Inspiring students to express their imagination using Paint Brush
- Encouraging the students to surf web pages and gather relevant detailed information through web pages.
- Readymade software could give practice material to students
- Collecting notes /pictures/videos from web pages for detailed information and projects/assignments.
- Saving the documents as soft copy for future use
- Learning through animations, as they are much near to the students
- E-books/online libraries/online encyclopedias help to guide in minutes and save precious time and resources.
- Creating videos using images, albums for better power point slides.
- Simulated Learning gives them an idea of the real situation.
- Publication of pamphlet/brochures for awareness with institution and among community members.
Testing and Evaluation process
- Keeping records of students for their academic scores
- Keeping records in relation to personal history
- Creating question bank for students
- Using computers for testing by asking questions from question bank
- Online Testing and Evaluation
- Analysis and interpretation of the data
- Previous year Question papers and sample papers using web sites.
- With reference to collective records of the students maintained year wise, stored in computers
- Testing for aptitude, interest, psychology using computer data bases and internet.
- Documents stored as soft copy for students/faculty members use
- Online magazines , journals, brochures , research articles
- Records of the books/record of the books maintained using special library software.
- Records of the issues and returns of the books.
- Records of students(personal, academic, financial)
- Records of employees of school
- Accounts of the institution
- Decision making process
- Aid to memory with minimum paper work
- Eye on current regulations of government and affiliating school boards and related authorities
- School canteen for billing
- Fees collection and maintenance of fees record.
- Circulation of instruction/notices and getting it in printed form
- Preparation of school magazine.
On the basis of above uses,let we list out
Framework for using Computers in Education
Computers in the modern society
Basic computer hardware
Software application packages (like word processors, spread sheets, multimedia etc.) and their utility in education
Development of Question Bank and interactive quizzes for evaluation
Using Internet as communicative and research tool
Copyright issues and the relative issues
Computer Assisted Instructions
Computers Enhancing Teaching Learning Process
Integration of Technology with Education
Lesson plans demonstrating use of computers in teaching
Apart from theoretical paper, there must be a practical compulsory examination based on the framework which should be of more weightage. Focus should be made on demonstrating use of computers in Teaching-Learning process. Practical must include demonstration of e-learning process; especially web conference, preparation of slides, and creation of result with analysis of same and so on.
A suggestive syllabus based on the above framework is given so as to at-least, view a directive sample.
COMPUTERS IN EDUCATION (CORE PAPER):(A Model Syllabus)
After completing the prescribed syllabus, the students will be able to:
Appreciate the use of computers in enhancing Teaching-Learning Process
Identify the main components of the hardware in use (i.e. Central Processing Unit (CPU), input devices, output devices and storage devices)
Use software application packages skillfully and intelligently for producing structured educational material for use in several subjects which are their core and methodology papers.
Demonstrate an understanding of how one can communicate with a computer online for sources of information, as well as with other people using a network.
Browse the internet and conduct research for their lessons
Evaluate digital lessons plans, project, presentations and research
Appreciate the concept of integration of technology with education
Unit I (Introduction to Computers)
• Place of computers in our society
• Computers – Meaning and characteristics
• Classification of computers (based on size and purpose)
• Hardware Components
- Input Devices (Keyboard, Mouse, Scanner, Microphone, Joystick, Web Camera, Digital Camera)
- Processing Devices (CPU and its components)
- Memory Devices (Primary-RAM, ROM; Secondary-Hard Disk, Floppy Disk, CD-ROM, Pen Drive)
- Output Devices (Monitor, Printer, Speakers, LCD Projectors)
• Software Components (System software, Application software)
• Computer Networks (LAN, MAN, WAN)
• Introduction to Basic Computer Screen [Operating System, start/shutting of the computer, Exploring Desktop Icons, Managing folders, Basic Commands
(cut, copy, paste, saving/accessing a file].
• Using ‘Paint’ as a drawing tool
• Scan and Print document/picture
• Computer care and computer lab maintenance.
• Computers Enhancing Teaching Learning Process.
Unit II (Software Application Packages and Question Bank Development)
• Word Processors
Apart from basic options of a Word processor; focus on: Creating and saving a new document, drawing tables, hyperlinks, mail merge and macro.
Word Processors enhancing Teaching Learning Process
• Spread sheets
Apart from basic options of a spreadsheet; focus on: Data inserting, sorting and analyzing, using formulae, presenting data on charts.
Spreadsheets enhancing Teaching Learning Process
• Multi media presentations
Apart from basic options of Power Point; focus on: Storyboarding of presentations (emphasis on content), adding images, videos, animations, transitions and hyperlinks to the slides.
Multimedia enhancing Teaching Learning Process
• Question Bank Development
Developing Question Bank using Hot Potatoes with different types of questions such as multiple choice, short answers, jumbled sentences, crossword, match, order, gap-fill exercises.
Hot Potatoes enhancing Teaching Learning Process
Unit III (Internet)
• Basics of Internet
Define terms related to the Internet
Enter an address to locate a specific Web site
Explore various sites on the World Wide Web
Use hyperlinks in Web pages
View educational resources on the World Wide Web
• Search engines as research tool
Use a search engine to locate information on the World Wide Web
Describe good search techniques
• Internet as communication tool for peer interaction/expert consultation
Create and send electronic mail
Read messages posted on an Internet discussion group/board
Use an education-related chat room on the Internet
Blogs to encourage interaction
Role of internet in collaborative projects
• Examine and critically evaluate a Website
• Computer virus
• Ensuring students safety on the internet
• International copyright issues regarding computer technology and internet
Unit IV (Integrating technology with education)
• Computer Assisted Instructions (Meaning), Difference between Computer Assisted Instructions and Conventional Teaching.
• Using technology to promote higher order thinking skills and develop curriculum framing questions.
• Technology supported project based learning
• Development of projects depicting integration of technology with education
Hope this suggestive framework would en-lighten a spirit among ‘Teacher Education curriculum framers’ to develop a more innovative curriculum for Computers in Education.