Commonwealth Computer Navigator's Certificate/Milestone 3/Swot Module 5
This analysis is based on the Open ICDL Module 5
Guidelines for the analysis can be found at Guidelines for SWOT Analysis of Open ICDL
- Recognizes importance of describing tables, primary keys, indexes, etc. early in learning module.
- Uses exercises to reinforce important concepts.
- Excellent use of screen captures to explain concepts
- the level of information seems appropriate for the adult student, though it could provide a more explanation of the concepts.
- no examples or rationale to explains the why for database design
- no visuals or screencast explaining complex subjects
- more attention paid to different learning styles of; visual, auditory and kinesthetic
- no anchor subject for database design examples
- lack of depth when explaining design decisions of table design, key definition & table relations
- lack of details of how to integrate database with other OpenOffice applications
Design and development issues
- having an anchor subject as an example would further engage the learner
- include forms and reports based on anchor subject
- provide greater detail regarding the whys and hows of database design
- include discussion with examples of database normalization
- first, second and third normal forms
- increase usage of diagrams and screen shots
- have students engage in exercises sooner
- make available and example database application