CCNC/CCNC Module 1/Software/Subsection Level CCNC Template10
As mentioned earlier, it is the operating system that actually makes the computer function. The following is a list of some of the functions of the operating system:
- Boot-up the computer.
- Control the hard drives: This includes such features as formatting and defragmenting disks as well as saving files to and retrieving files from disk.
- Control input devices such as keyboards, mice and scanners.
- Control output devices such as the video display and printer.
- Control the external ports: Ports are the external connections that enable peripheral devices to be connected to a computer. Common types of ports are serial, parallel, usb and firewire. Of these the USB ports are the most important.
- Provide the functionality for computers to be linked in a network.
- Provide the foundation for application software to be launched.
- Enable application software to access and use the hardware.
The following list names some operating systems. They are grouped according to similarity.
Unix; Linux; Free BSD
Windows 95; Windows 98; Windows Me, Windows NT4 Workstation / Server; Windows 2000 Workstation / Server; Windows XP; Windows 2003 Server; Windows Vista.