See Barbados in Countries
Free Online Workshops
|Inspiring to become an Agent of Change Learning4Content Workshop||10-days Online Free Workshop|
August 25, - September 8, 2010
How can WikiEducator support education in Barbados?
- Platform for resources for teachers in all subject areas
- Platform for professional development
- Sharing lessons
- Providing support for new teachers entering the profession
- Sharing best practice among local schools
- WikiMaster certification is a valuable feature of WikiEducator
- Ability to correct/edit text in real time
- Improvement of content is critical - ability to author and change enhances sense of ownership
- Wikeducator material can be as a catalyst for ideas
- Caters for different perspectives -- i.e. the ability to adapt and modify
What should/need to do?
- Need to start with advocacy and sensitisation. What are the needs in the classroom? Can wiki's address needs.
- Need to have workshops (train the trainer approach) -- support and promote peer teaching in local schools
- Encourage each school to develop at least one set of materials on WikiEducator.
- Materials MUST be local -- Barbadian
- Incentives for developing content?
- Involve young teachers in the process
- Need support and involvement from the Ministry of Education
- The approach needs to be bottom-up rather than top down, eg involvement of subject coordinators at the ground level in getting teachers involved is critical.
- Encourage teachers to visit the site.
- Content must reflect best practice
Ideas for building capacity in using wiki's for education
- By using wikis -- we can promote the use of technology in the classroom.
- Benefits of online capability might encourage and promote capacity development