Working with databases/Create a database/Assessment
|Working with databases|
|Create a database||Introduction | Table design | Data types | Field properties | Primary keys | Adding information | Records and tables | Key points | Assessment|
Planning the database
Before you begin creating the database you will need to complete the plan you started in unit 1.
Your plan should already show:
- That you have identified the purpose of the database.
- What is the best database model to meet the requirements: flatfile, hierarchical, relational, network or a combination of models
Now, you should complete page 2 of the plan, identifying the field names, data types and additional specifications.
Creating the database
Now you can implement you have developed.
- Following the plan you created in Task One create a new database.
- Include all the Database Specifications you have used in your plan.
- Use the list of tasks below as a guideline for what you will be marked on.
- Once you have finished:
- Save the file .
- Ensure all printouts include your name and date.
- Complete the self-check list below:
- Appropriate fields for the data were created.
- Appropriate formatting and properties were assigned to the fields.
- Test records are created and checked against the specifications of the database fields.
- Print a copy of your test records.
- Enter supplied data into your database.
- Print a copy of your database.
- Delete the Sports Towel record (Item ID 6189).
- Change the Selling Price of the Tee Shirt to $16.50.
- Add a new record with the following details:
- Bandana (Item ID 6200)
- Units on Hand: 15 Cost Price: $3.50
- Selling Price: $6.00 Supplier Code: LG
- Supplier: Logo Goods
- Supplier Telephone: 09 555 3853
- In the design view add a new field name: Supplier Local. Define it as a Yes/No field.
- Sort the records alphabetically by the item description. Print the table.
- Sort the records numerically by the selling price (lowest price at the top). Print the table.
- Compare the entered data with the original data source to check its accuracy. Has your database meet the requirements of the brief?
Download the Planning template