User:Vtaylor/CIS 50 Introduction to Computers, Data Processing, and Applications/Winter 2012/Final project B
CIS 50 Introduction to Computers, Data Processing, and Applications
- 1 Keep Moving Forward with Introduction to computers, data processing,and applications
- 1.1 WEEK 1: Information and Introductions
- 1.2 Week 2: Informationand Systems
- 1.3 Week 3: Hardware
- 1.4 Week 4: Control
- 1.5 Week 6: Project management, research and collaboration
- 1.6 Week 5: Systems Development Process
- 1.7 Week 6: Project Management, Research and Collaboration
- 1.8 Week 7: Manangement Systems
- 1.9 Week 8: Production Control
- 1.10 Week 9: Anytime, Anywhere
- 1.11 WEEK 10 Technology advances and trends
- 2 Student Individual Selections
Keep Moving Forward with Introduction to computers, data processing,and applications
Contrabutions by RuthAnn and Jisungs
Final selections for the weekly ten topics of discussion
WEEK 1: Information and Introductions
1. VARK Questionnaire–This is useful for students to increase the effectiveness of learning by knowing their learning styles.
2. Open textbooks– This website provides a numerous online textbooks without any charge.
Week 2: Informationand Systems
2. Online Security  – Even big companies like eBay and Amazon cannot fully protect their customers’private information.
Week 3: Hardware
1. Online Attack – There are three types of online attacks in this era; 1) Criminals for money2) Activists for protest 3) Governments for controlling their citizens.
2. Operating System – Different types ofoperating systems available today with the dates they were released, theplatforms they have been developed for and who developed them
Week 4: Control
1. Database – A database software is a type of computer program that is designedto handle lot of data,but to
storethem in such a way that finding and retrieving any snippet of data is more efficient
2. Risk Analysis – Types of risks in software projects
Week 6: Project management, research and collaboration
1. User Interface – The coreconcept of future user interface design; providing an unobtrusive path forusers to operate their devices
2. Project Management-is the planning, organizing, and executing a specificproject
Week 5: Systems Development Process
1. Cost-benefit analysis - This is a short YouTube video/lecture discussing aproblem solving technique regarding cost-benefit analysis. http://www.youtube.com/watch
2. IT Career[23 ]– advices for IT professionals to keep themselves competitive in the fast-growing industry
Week 6: Project Management, Research and Collaboration
- Collaboration- This article gives information about project management collaboration in the modern era. It signifies the importance of collaboration software, not only enhancing communication among people but also maximizing the efficiency of people involved.
- Connexions – The information system that provides online textbooks, articles, and educational material
Week 7: Manangement Systems
2. SalesForce.com provides customer relations services http://www.salesforce.com
Week 8: Production Control
1. Warehouse Automation – 4 ways to maximize warehouseautomation without adopting new advanced machines and equipments
2. Control system– A production planning and control system covers all aspects of manufacturing,including materials, scheduling, machines, people,coordinating, suppliers, and customers.
Week 9: Anytime, Anywhere
WEEK 10 Technology advances and trends
Student Individual Selections
Brain color – Knowing one’s brain color is important to find one’s talent and ability.
VARK Questionnaire – This is useful for students to increase the effectiveness
of learning by knowing their learning styles.
Open textbooks – This website provides a numerous online textbooks without any charge.
Cloud computing – The market for cloud computing grows larger and the large Spanish bank BBVA
is adopting Google Apps for its 110,000 employees worldwide by the end of 2012.
Smart TV – TVs are becoming more advanced with such features like Internet access, games, video
chat and so on. However, there are still technical problems in dealing with interface and recognition.
Artificial Intelligence – General description about A.I. and basic FAQs on the subject
Audio File Format – Lists of audio file format and descriptions on them
Data Communication – basic information about data communication and its supplementary categories
such as transmission, data compression and etc
Online Security – Even big companies like eBay and Amazon cannot fully protect their customers
Global Positioning System – GPS works as it figures out the distances between satellites in Earth
orbit and the device itself and deduce its location.
Online Attack – There are three types of online attacks in this era; 1) Criminals for money
2) Activists for protest 3) Governments for controlling their citizens.
Operating System – the definition of operating system and its function
Operating System – Different types of operating systems available today with the dates they were released,
the platforms they have been developed for and
who developed them
Semiconductor – a timeline of the silicon semiconductors in computers and how chips have grown in capabilities.
Student Data Management – A diagram about data management in a school system
System Development Methodologies – Strategies to improve productivity and quality of systems development with
information about the different types of methodologies or process models and the type of situation they apply to
User Interface – The core concept of future user interface design; providing an unobtrusive path for users to
operate their devices
Creative Commons – The article about the previous 2008 presidential elections debates where Obama requested
the Democratic National Committee to allow recordings of debates to be available to the public.
Database – A database software is a type of computer program that is designed to handle lots of data, but to
store them in such a way that finding and retrieving any snippet of data is more efficient
Risk Analysis – Types of risks in software projects
Alternate solution – 10 alternative operating systems besides a few numbers of popular and market-dominating
systems such as Windows and Mac
Cost and Benefit Analysis – The importance of cost and benefit analysis and its categories
IT Career – advices for IT professionals to keep themselves competitive in the fast-growing industry
Process and Methodology – Prototyping allows developers to create portions of the solution to demonstrate
functionality and make needed refinements
before developing the final solution. Process and Methodology – A guideline for how to prototype website
structure with easy-to-follow steps
Connexions – The information system that provides online textbooks, articles and educational material
Engineering Process – Engineering design process with following steps and a diagram.
Milestone – How to make a timeline with milestone for projects, containing several steps to follow
Collaboration - This article gives information about project management collaboration in the modern era.It signifies the importance
of collaboration software not only enhancing communication among people but also maximizing the efficiency of people involved.
Analysis – 7 trends in business analysis and project management in 2012
Customer service – 10 tips to improve customer service
Customer service – 40% of customer service emails could be answered by FAQ
Sales and Marketing – 101 best and most proven sales and marketing ideas
Transaction Processing Systems – A type of information system that collects, stores, modifies and retrieves the data
transactions of an enterprise. There is some information about features of TPS.
Business Operations – A brief introduction about business operations management degrees with types,
coursework, career paths and salary.
Self Aware Robot – The speaker in the video, Hod Lipson, roboticist believes the evolution of robot.
As long as robot can perceive its image and adapt to different situations, They could evolve and function as human.
Warehouse Automation – 4 ways to maximize warehouse automation without adopting new advanced
machines and equipments
Autonomous spacecraft – Luna 16 was the first autonomous spacecraft to return an extraterrestrial sample.
It was launched in 1970 by Soviet Union. Also, it was the third
successful sample return mission ever, following Apollo 11 and Apollo 12.
Robotics - Roboticist Hod Lipson at Cornell University’s Computational Synthesis Laboratory said that the
greatest challenge for robots today is figuring out how to adapt to new situations. To overcome their challenge,
he advocated that they need to able to perceive self-image and also reflect their own thoughts in relatively much shorter period of
time and experience than now.
Control system – A production planning and control system covers all aspects of manufacturing, including materials,
scheduling machines and people, and coordinating
suppliers and customers.
Mobile Technology – Technology that is portable; Benefits and drawbacks of the technology
Cyber Attack – Interpol website crashed briefly following its announcement of the arrest of 25 suspected
members of the hacking group.
Cyber Attack – US military officer said that the United States was vulnerable to cyber attacks and lost
enormous intellectual property rights. On the other hand, some says that it is overstating the threat to get people scared.
Entertainment – People spend 33 percent of their media time on the phone and only 25 percent watching television.
Geolocation – Geolocation apps can report your location to other users and they associate real-world locations to your location.
Environment – General Electronic has developed more and more eco-friendly technologies. However, prominent
Republican presidential candidates are reluctant to the fact that
man actions are actually contributing to global warming. The company criticizes that those candidates should be more aware
of the need of these kinds of technologies.
Climate Change – Increasing demand for technology in agriculture industries, mostly focused on technologies
for predicting a climate change
Health Care – Nowadays, a lot of health care issues such as electronic health records, health information exchanges and accountable
care organizations are surfacing
Second Life – A virtual role playing game in which people create Avatars through which they can literally live a virual Second Life.
Digital Divide – Division between haves and have not’s in the aspect of access to high-speed internet connections
Week 1: Introductions and Personal Learning
This link is the best reference for this topic. It is the exact outline of what is to be covered for this topic
College Open Textbook- online is a good resource for not just this course but it has a wide variety of other subjects as well
Introduction to data and Information http://openlearn.open.ac.uk/mod/oucontent/view.php?id=3975
Vark a guide to learning http://www.vark-learn.com/english/page.asp?p=readwrite
User interface I chose this link because it gave me a cler picture of the meaning when it pertains to the
Information technology industry
It is the human interaction with the computers.
Week 5: Systems Development Process
Systems Development Process
Cost benefit analysis this is a short you tube video/lecture discussing a problem solving technique regarding cost-benefit analysis
Week 6: Project Management, Research and Collaboration
Project Management, Research, and Collaboration Design Review in the following link is a document that describes the Design Review Process
Product Management in this link is well organized and informative
Week 7: Management Systems
Customer Service and Understanding your Customers
Less Software provides services such as acquiring, managing and selling inventory, managing logistics and order fulfillment processes[9 ]
SalesForce.com provides customer relations services http://www.salesforce.com
Week 8: Production Control
Introductions to control systems
Week 10: Technology Advances and Trends
Technology Advances and Trends
Climate Change: In this article is about human caused climate change
Identity: This article is about online social identity from the Wikipedia[11 ]
Wearable Computing: Google and Apple Developing wearable computing devices
TheSocial Media Revolution 2012