Lesson 1: Citing Sources
This lesson plan was prepared by the participants of the Library and Information Literacy Pilot Project, spearheaded by School Library Services
Intellectual Property Issues
Play music of a popular artist using two CDs; one original and one pirated. Question: Do you notice any differences in the packaging of the CDs? Now do you see any difference? How to identify original material.
Strategies/Questions to Guide Learning:
- Why do you need to know this information?
- Show different media and explain how copyright affects them all.
- How to locate the different pieces of information needed for bibliographies e.g. recording year, place, company etc.
Instructional Focus/Content Sequenced:
MLA format sequence of recording information.
Description of Activity/Instructional Activities/Methodology:
- Give students different media to compile bibliography.
- Prepare sample to present to class
- Create activity sheet: e.g. fill in blanks
- Compare and contrast different media
- All formats media
- AV room/Library