|Employer:||Thompson Rivers University - Open Learning|
|Occupation:||Director, Curriculum Development|
|Other roles:||OERu representative for Thompson Rivers University|
I'm currently Adjunct Faculty with the School of Education at Thompson Rivers University, and Associate Faculty with the School of Education and Technology at Royal Roads University. I was previously Director of Curriculum Development and Interim Associate Vice President at Thompson Rivers University, Open Learning, a founding anchor partner of the OERu. My roles have included musician, instructional designer, instructor, researcher, program developer and administrator in open and distance learning, variously in career, professional and academic programs at undergraduate and graduate levels. I now lean toward the term "open educator" but that's a big concept and I don't nearly live up to its full meaning or potential. But I keep trying...and learning...
I also am co-editor with Dr. David Porter of the open access journal International Journal of E-learning and Distance Education, a publication of the Canadian Network for Innovation in Education (CNIE-RCIE).
Recent research and presentations
- DeVries, I. (2018). The student experience of distance education over time–A research challenge. About “Isolation and connection: The experience of distance education." Distances et médiations des savoirs/Distance and Mediation of Knowledge(23).
- Weller, M., Jordan, K., DeVries, I., & Rolfe, V. (2018). Mapping the open education landscape: citation network analysis of historical open and distance education research. Open Praxis, 10(2), 109-126.
- Jordan, K., Rolfe, V., Weller, M. & DeVries, I. (2018). Learning from the Past: Development of Open and Distance Education Research over Time. Transforming Education through Open Approaches. Open Education Global Conference. Delft, The Netherlands.
- Weller, M., Jordan, K., DeVries, I. & Rolfe, V. (2017). Reclaiming our History: Citation Network Analysis of Historical Open and Distance Education Research. World Conference on Online Learning Teaching in a Digital Age —Re-thinking Teaching & Learning. International Council for Distance Education. Toronto, Ontario.
- Brown, A., DeVries, I., Mackintosh, W., Morong, G. & Thompson, B. (2017). The OERu 1st year: Case study in Open Planning, Open Design, and International Accreditation. World Conference on Online Learning Teaching in a Digital Age —Re-thinking Teaching & Learning. International Council for Distance Education. Toronto, Ontario.
- Harrison, M. & DeVries, I. (2017). Advocating for open: The role of learning support professionals in changing practice. OER17: The Politics of Open. London, UK.
- DeVries, Irwin; Cloutier, N. & Teare, C. (2017). The power of open information in open course development. Open Education Global Conference. Cape Town, SA.
- DeVries, I. & Harrison, M. (2016). Advocating for open: The instructional design experience. OpenEd16 Conference. Richmond, VA.
- DeVries, I. (2015). Community volunteers in collaborative OER development. In Reiners, T., von Konsky, B.R., Gibson, D., Chang, V., Irving, L., and Clarke, K. (Eds.), Globally connected, digitally enabled. Proceedings, Australian Society for Computers in Learning in Tertiary Education (Ascilite) 2015 in Perth, pp. 77-88.
- DeVries, I. & Mackintosh, Wayne (2015). Growing e-learning capacity through open course design and development. ICDE International Council for Open and Distance Education. Sun City, South Africa.
- DeVries, I. & Cloutier, N. (2015) Yay! We found the perfect open textbook...Now what? Open Education 2015, Vancouver, B.C.
- DeVries, I. & T. Elias (2015). Sensemaking in the changing world of learning design. Educational Technology Users Group, Vancouver, B.C.
- Forssman, V. & I. DeVries (2015). Scaling Open and Distance Education: Paradigms and Paradoxes. BCNet 2015, Vancouver, B.C.
- Mackintosh, W., Ker, P., Nichols, M., DeVries, I. & McGreal, R. (2014). Flipping the OERu: Crowdsourcing solutions for sustainable education futures worldwide. Symposium. Australasian Society for Computers in Learning in Tertiary Education (Ascilite). Dunedin, NZ.
- Morong, G. & I. DeVries (2014). Open online course design and development: Challenges and promises. OpenEd 2014, Washington DC.
- DeVries, I. & Porter, D. (2014). Getting the mix right: Implementing open education practices. Educational Technology Users Group, Vancouver, B.C.
- DeVries, I. & Morong, G. (2014). Open online course design and development. Canadian Network for Innovation in Education conference. Kamloops, BC.
- DeVries, I. (2013). Open course design and development: A case study in the Open Educational Resource university. PhD, Simon Fraser University (presentation)
- DeVries, I. (2013). Open design and development: Processes and potential. Video recording. OpenCourseWare Consortium Global Conference. Bali, Indonesia
- Friesen, N. & DeVries, I. (2012). Before we leave content behind. OpenEd Conference 2012. Vancouver, BC
- DeVries, I. (2012). The Open Educational Resource university: A view from the inside. Educational Technology Users Group Conference. Vancouver, BC
- DeVries, I. (2012). Panelist: Collaboration technologies: Challenges and solutions. BCNET 2012 Conference, Vancouver, BC
- Richards, G. & DeVries, I. (2011). Revisiting formative evaluation: Dynamic monitoring for the improvement of learning activity design and delivery. 1st International Conference on Learning Analytics, Banff, AB
- Associate Faculty, Royal Roads University
- Interim Associate Vice President, Open Learning. Thompson Rivers University, Open Learning Division
- Director, Curriculum Development. Thompson Rivers University, Open Learning Division
- Vice President, Accreditation Programs. CMABC Canada
- Director, Learning and Information Services. Justice Institute of British Columbia
- Course Designer, Open Learning Institute (now TRU Open Learning)
- Curriculum Editor. University of British Columbia
- College Editor, Prentice-Hall of Canada, Ltd.