DEPARTMENT OF MUSIC AND PERFORMING ARTS EDUCATION
COURSE CODE: TAR 354
COURSE TITLE: DIRECTING - AREAS OF SPECIALIZATION
LECTURER: Samuel M. Yirenkyi
Investigation and presentation of scenes and expansion arising from theories and techniques of play Directing. Exercises in Directing involving shorter scenes for class evaluation.
1. Responsibilities of the Director
a. Choosing the play
- Finding a scene
- Putting the scene in context
- Challenging the Audience
- Challenging the Actors
- Challenging the Director
2. Staging a Scene: The Analysis
a. Analysis of Beats
b. The Basis of Movement
c. The Amount of Movement
d. Stage Locations
e. Rules for Movement
- Improving Visibility
- Focusing Attention
f. Background of the Scene
g. Scene Analysis
3. Staging a Scene: The Blocking
a. Planning the Set
b. Blocking the Action
c. Running through the Blocking
4. Script Analysis
a. Conflict and Expectations
b. Sequence of Events
5. Practical Challenges
b. Designing the Set
c. Locating the Problem
d. Style-Major Directors and their style of presentation
e. Rehearsal Schedule
6. Principles of Arrangement a. Central Postion
b. Symmetrical and Asymmetrical Balance
c. Focus of Attention
d. Body Position and Height
e. Circular Arrangement
f. Horizontal Arrangement
g. Staging Arrangements - Unity, Balance, Rhythm, Mood
7. Preparing for Performance a. Technical Rehearsal
b. Dress Rehearsal
c. Flaws in the Production
d. Final Dress Rehearsal and Performance
8. Preparing a Prompter's Copy.
NB: Students must choose/select plays for class work
- Three (3) assignments would be presented by students for class continuous assessment
- Attendance to class would be strictly adhered to
- Students would be encouraged to practically direct a short play in class
- Frerer, Lloyd Anton (1971) Directing for the Stage. NTC Publishing Group, Illinois.
- McMahan, Elizabeth; Day, Susan & Funk, Robert (1989) Literature and the Writing Process. 6th Edition. Macmillan Publishing Company, New York.
- Forde, Nigel (1986) Theatrecraft Creativity and the Art of Drama. Harold Shaw Publishers. Wheaton, Illinois.
- Wilson, Edwin (1998) The Theatre Experience. 7th Edition. The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc New York.
- Holman, Hugh C & Harmon, William. (1986) A Handbook to Literature 5th Ed. Macmillan Publishing Company, New York.
- Brocket, Oscer (1991) History of the Theatre. Allyn and Bacon, Boston.