Just a quick dump of notes about StudentNet, the basic functionality we probably need to consider in the future LMS. In no particular order.
This will really only be of interest to Moodle trial team.
- 1 Permission levels
- 2 Knowledge base
- 3 File Sharing
- 4 Multiple pages in a site open at once in windows or tabs
- 5 Communication functionality via e-mail
- 6 Member profiles with some information about memberships of courses etc
- 7 Drop Box functionality
- 8 User folders
- 9 Option in the design to clone a component
- 10 Deploying of content with simple local navigation
- 11 Quality Editor
- 12 Ability to record sound clips directly
- 13 Ability to selectively open up courses
- 14 Tags
- 15 Wiki
- 16 Blogs
- 17 System wide groups
- 18 Trash for recently deleted items
- 19 Admin/design features
- 20 Comments feature
A Flexible Permissions model: eg ability to give students admin rights for small areas - in Studentnet these are usually groups. ie within a group you can have some good level of power.
Uploading of files, web pages or links into categories. With the ability to add comments. Options for students to also add material and comment.
Upload of files by students and staff - and to comment on the files.
Multiple pages in a site open at once in windows or tabs
eg: the content of some posts and maybe a web page open while you create a post for a forum or work in a wiki page.
Communication functionality via e-mail
- to course members, all or some chsen off a list.
- optional notification of first access of site by a student
- optional e-mail notification of posts in a forum
- vie a personal profile page, but (optionally) not revealing the address
Member profiles with some information about memberships of courses etc
Drop Box functionality
ie file sharing from student <> lecturer with comments. This is different from file sharing open to the whole class.
ie a student may post a draft for a lecturer to comment on.
For upload of images, files etc.
Option in the design to clone a component
eg: Set up folder, put pages in the folder, click Nav Mode ON and a set of links appear to the pages creating some simple navigation.
Need to be able to add buttons to cope with the special components we may want to add: eg specific flash or Multi Media.
Ability to record sound clips directly
ie not record and upload. And very simple: 4 buttons: REC, DEL, PLAY, SAVE
Ability to selectively open up courses
To the world, to logged in users, to members.
For pages, items etc.
At lease the one page option StudentNet has.
System wide groups
Trash for recently deleted items
Easy to create groups
Easy to clone items
Easy to move, restructure items
One click hide/show admin editing tools
For the main basic functionality: file sharing, knowledge bases, blogs, drop boxes