OERu/Planning/Technology working group/2014-07-11
Where: Hangout link
- Update on OCL4Ed
- Update: newSpash theming for OERu course site.
- 3rd level navigation.
- Evaluation of the EducationProgram extension for course registration (http://e.WikiEducator.org/, login info)
- Single sign-on between OERu.org and WikiEducator
- Pre-course survey use in snapshot courses
- Resource bank use in snapshot course
- E-Mail triggers from WikiEducator (ability to send an email when someone loads something in resource bank, when a course starts or perhaps when assessment is due)
- Demonstration of USQ course creation program see Vimeo
- WikiEducator Mediawiki upgrade, including deprecation of some extensions
- On #9, it might be worth considering whether it could be useful to take advantage of $wgUseInstantCommons (see also InstantCommons), which was one of the really nice things from MediaWiki 1.16. Snowolf 04:18, 11 July 2014 (UTC)
- Hi it's Sarah here, I'm back from leave and have reviewed the progress that Tim has nade and i'm really impressed. I can imagine that cut and pasting the final set of URLs into an xls is no big deal. Running a script in Python is another matter however. Is OERF/Jim able to take that part on? Or do we need each partner who wants to do this to locate and get on board some local programmers to do this work? Slambert 04:19, 5 August 2014 (UTC)
- Jim Tittsler discussed Wikipedia Education Program. < http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Education_Program > There are use case scenarios which are not entirely relevant to OER, however it is useful to know that this product exists and we may find use for it in the future. We believe that it may be handy to one day have faceted searching/filtering relating to years of study, academic credit, offering institution and so forth.
- Part of Akash's proposal for his GSoC project is to improve course creation and registration by adapting the Wikipedia Education Program extension to the needs of the OERu community. A fresh MediaWiki instance with the stock extension installed can be found at < http://e.wikieducator.org/ >
- More discussion is required around the resource bank and a snapshot course. The resource bank will not currently work/integrate with a snapshot course.
- Authentication code to date is written at < https://gitorious.org/wikieducator/wenotes/source/f11adbc67644192e8bda8800e0aa6df2119f4c97:WEnotesPost.js#L85-115 >
USQ course creation software, video demonstration Part 1 of 2
|Creating a course using templates Part 1 of 2|
This video demonstrates how a responsive design web site is created using a Microsoft Excel Spreadsheet. The Spreadsheet contains data such as colours, course name, course code and logo URLs. The web site is produced by a computer program; written in Python by Tim McCallum from the University of Southern Queensland. For more information please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
USQ course creation software, video demonstration Part 2 of 2
|Creating a course using templates - Part 2 of 2|
This video demonstrates how a responsive design web site is created by fetching Wiki pages over the web. The web site is produced by a computer program; written in Python by Tim McCallum from the University of Southern Queensland. For more information please contact email@example.com
- Convener: Tim McCallum
- Attendance: Jim Tittsler, Wayne Mackintosh. Apology: Sarah Lambert