Middle School Geography-worksheet on 'Mapping the Earth 2'
1. What are the basic parts of a map? Write one point for each of them, along with suitable examples
2. What helps in comparing the size of a map with the real size of a place? Define that term and name its three common types. Explain any one of them in brief, along with an example.
3. Fill in the blanks:
a)The 4 directions – North, South, East and West are known as ______________ __________________ b)_______________ ____________________ ___________________ are maps that cover a small area of the earth. c)A map legend is also called a __________________________ d)The distance between any two parallels of latitude is about ____________________ kms. e)The maps that represents features like weather, road, distribution on population etc are called ______________________________
4. Give any two reasons for the following: a) Cartographers use symbols or signs on a map
b) A map is often preferred to a globe
c) There are 360 meridians of longitude
5) State whether the following statements are true or false and correct the incorrect statements: a. The word 'map' comes from the Latin word "mappa" meaning 'skin'. b. The earth is a sphere flattened at the poles. c. A small scale map represents large areas of the Earth. d. A large scale map shows very little detail about an area 6) Write any two differences between latitudes and longitudes.
6) Fill in the blanks with suitable conventional signs Aditi and Kanika lived in a village _________________ in Switzerland, by a beautiful stream _____________________. Since there were very few Indians, they all got together and built a temple ______________________ and a mosque ___________. One day they decided to take the tram on the broad gauge ________________________ to France. After crossing the international boundary ____________________ they reached the city of Versailles, got off the tram and walked on the footpath ____________________ till they got a taxi. Their hotel was actually an old fort ______________________ converted to a hotel but unfortunately the tank there was a dry one ___________________. After their stay, they took the unmetalled road __________________ back home