Marovo joke machine
- 1 Requirements
- 2 The OLPC Activity "Joke Machine"
- 3 Grade and topic
- 4 Curriculum references
- 5 Concept / Topic To Teach
- 6 Standards Addressed
- 7 General Goal(s)
- 8 Specific Objectives
- 9 Required Materials
- 10 Anticipatory Set (Lead-In)
- 11 Step-By-Step Procedures
- 12 Plan For Independent Practice
- 13 Assignment
- 14 Reflection
- 15 Review
This lesson plan requires OLPC laptops, although it may be possible to derive a plan for the non-OLPC schools using blackboard and exercise books.
The OLPC Activity "Joke Machine"
This is a powerful but easy to use activity that creates interactive scrap books in the form of quizzes. It is called "joke machine" because entries consist of questions and answers, i.e. "Q. Why did the chicken cross the road". "A. To get to the other side!" Each question is accompanied by a photograph or drawing and optionally an audio recording, both of which are made in advance from Record Activity and saved in the journal.
However, the questions can of course be serious too, and can be in Marovo Language.
This lesson will encourage children to be creative and will be a great way for the teacher to adopt the useof the school server in lessons.
Note that this tool can also be used as a fun quiz to assess students learning during any lesson.
Grade and topic
Can be used for any topic that uses Marovo things as subject matter.
- Science, social studies, health, geography, etc. Depends on the subject matter of the questions that will be asked in the books.
- Teachers will know how to use the ICT to support teaching and learning
- Students will learn ICT skills
- Students will be literate in both their own language and English
- Vernacular education policy
Concept / Topic To Teach
The teacher will select a theme linked to the subject that is being studied and also to Marovo "things from the forest, the sea and the river". Some suggested examples:
- Agriculture: Plant diseases and pests
- Geography: Different kinds of rock
- Conservation: Life-cycle of the turtle
- Literacy: Our Marovo language
To create learn about the selected theme through an interactive ICT games approach.
- Before the lesson, the teacher will prepare a joke book with maybe 10 pairs of questions and answers with accompanying photos, drawings and optionally audio recordings. The process is as follows:
- Choose the questions and answers and write them (in Marovo). They can be a short paragraph in length each.
- Take a picture that will be the "cover" of the book.
- Take photos and audios with record, and draw with Paint as required to provide illustration for each question. In fact the suqgestions can directly refer to them (i.e. picture/drawing of bird, sound of bird)
- Note that you can also use the pictures from the wiki, you can save them by right-click/save image, onto a flash drive and then put them on your XO. But test this first as picture size/resolution may cause problems. The XO uses 600 x 480 pixel photos.
- Now you have the material prepared, create the book usingthe Joke Machine activity. Create a new book, add the cover and title, and then edit the book to add the content.
- Test the book. Save it to the journal with a good explanatory name, such as "Marovo-Birds-Joke-Book"
- Now upload it to the server "wiki upload folders". Create a directory for "Joke Books" and save your book there. Don't forget to rename it when it uploads with a random file name.
- Test downloading it with a different XO and check that it works.
- Prepare a list of question answer pairs for the students to complete in activity 2
- The Reef and Rainforest books and access to the wiki
Anticipatory Set (Lead-In)
Plan For Independent Practice
Closure (Reflect Anticipatory Set)
Assessment Based On Objectives
- Exercise books used in the activity
- Completed joke books
- Do a test on the subject matter and assess the student's learning
Adaptations (For Students With Learning Disabilities)
- Use the group work sessions to focus on the slower learners
- Pair the students with others who will help them
Extensions (For Gifted Students)
- Use eToys to create an active essay about the subject matter, in Marovo language, using the same photos and material to expand on.
Possible Connections To Other Subjects
How well did this lesson go?
|Have you used this lesson plan? Self-reflections and comments welcome. Please post your feedback on the discussion page.|