Kia ora and welcome to Learning Centred Learning.
I have the pleasure of facilitating the course in 2014 and it is a hard act to follow. Heather Day has created an excellent course and taught it over many years.
By engaging with the course, I hope you gain some deeper insights about how to facilitate the learning of adults in tertiary environments.
Learner Centred Learning (LCL) explores adult learning approaches and the creation of learner centred environments; considering how these can foster active, interactive and deep learning strategies enabling students to achieve successful learning outcomes in a variety of contexts.
The course consists of six modules of interactive learning that you can undertake online to suit your schedule.
To examine adult learning approaches and explore how underpinning theories, principles and practices can be used to create learner centred environments that enable all students to achieve successful learning outcomes in a variety of contexts.
To facilitate learning by adopting and fostering active, interactive and deep learning strategies which support meaningful interaction with concepts, materials, activities and people.
At the successful completion of this course, participants will be able to:
- recognise, value and utilise students’ cultural orientation, prior learning and learning styles by providing a diverse range of opportunities to encourage deep learning;
- adopt sound pedagogical practices that reflect a comprehensive understanding of adult learning approaches needed to engage learners and maintain this engagement, e.g. action learning, project based learning, self directed learning (e.g. individual or group learning contract), scenario based learning;
- integrate theoretical knowledge into learning and teaching practices;
- transfer adult learning and teaching principles into a specific subject/work context, e.g. workshop, art studio and hospital, by creating and critiquing a learning sequence covering a specific topic;
- utilise a range of electronic communication methods including a Learning Management System for learning and teaching purposes.
Learner Centred Learning, is a level 7 core course within the Graduate Certificate in Tertiary Learning and Teaching - level 7 (GCTLT), delivered through Capable NZ at Otago Polytechnic, Aotearoa New Zealand.
The programme is only available for participants who have already completed at least one course, as it will no longer be offered after 2014. For more information refer to GCTLT courses.