JCrete2013:Edit Recordings With Audacity
To help edit the recordings, please contact one of the organizer
Steps to edit recordings:
- Find the recording in the Excel list and put your name as Editor before starting to edit it.
- Remove Noise with Noise Removal Effect (Effect > Noise Removal)
- Use Analyze -> Silence Finder to find silent parts to use as input for noise removal
- However, using default noise reduction 24 db the result was that you could hardly here anything. I reduced it down to 6 to be able to listen.
- Use High Pass filter with cut-off 25Hz to remove subsonic noise (Effect > High Pass filter )
- (Try the notch filter, didn't use it yet) Effect > Notch filter
- Use Normalizer with only the middle selection (Effect > Normalize)
- Remove unwanted sections which contain offtopic conversation etc. (Select the section and Ctrl+X (Cmd+X on Mac) )
- Zoom in and scroll over the file to find peaks
- Listen to the peak
- If it's voice which is just too loud, mark the area (use Z to start/end with zero crossings) apply Amplify Effect with -2 to -4 to reduce the loudness.
- If it's a click, use Click Removal effect or cut it out completly. Use Fadeout/Fadein effect to smooth the end/start of a click within a word
- When done, check the file again
- You may now use Amplify/Normalizer/Equalizer to improve the audability of the voices. Euqalizer didn't work for me though.
- Export to OGG when finished
- Use Quality 5 (Options Button in the Export)
- Fill in title, author and track
- Rename to remove spaces. Replace everything apart from a-zA-Z0-9 with underscores
- Upload to wikimedia.org
- use the CC BY-SA license
- Update the Wiki Page to include the recording, example: Scrum Session with Recording