Handle and maintain knives
People credited with this unit standard are able to handle knives and maintain knives in a commercial kitchen.
Prerequisite: Unit 167, Practise food safety methods in a food business, or the demonstration of equivalent knowledge and skills.
Evaluation of documentation and visit by NZQA and industry.
Handle knives in a commercial kitchen
- Correct knife and technique for use is demonstrated for food item being prepared.
Range: food items - vegetables, meat.
- Cutting surface is secure, clean, and ready for use.
- Knife is handled safely, preventing injury to self and others.
- Knife handling complies with establishment requirements and legislation.
Maintain knives in a commercial kitchen
- Knife is checked for cleanliness and sharpness.
- Knife is sharpened in a safe manner using accepted sharpening methods.
Range: methods - use of a steel, stone, grinder. at least two methods must be assessed.
- Knife is stored in a safe manner, in correct place for knife, within agreed timeframe, in accordance with establishment requirements.
- Knife maintenance complies with establishment requirements and legislation.