Group 3 - Activities
1. Characterisation of the cocoyam diversity
A survey cocoyam production areas will be conducted in each iof the participating countries. Data will be collected by observation and using a questionnaire administered to farmers. The following information will be collected:
- Phenotypic characteristics of the sampled germplasm,
- IK on production practices,
- Varietal diversity on farm,
- Yield potential of different varieties
- Occurrence of pests and diseases,
- Maturity period,
- Tuber yield.
2. Agronomic performance and diseases and pest trials on-station
From on-station trials, the following data will be collected:
- Reaction to pests and diseases.
- Performance under varying plant densities.
- Performance under differenr planting methods (mounds vs. flat).
- Nutritional content of the diffrent yam materials
- Optimum soil nutient requirements.