Funding proposals/Mobile Learning/Current State
Currently very few of the major sources of learning resources are easily accessible via mobile devices - especially the types of devices most mobile users in the developing world have access to (only voice and SMS).
In the developing world, penetration of mobile phones is typically much higher than personal computers.
The constant change at all levels requires a dynamic approach.
For schools in the developing world, each situation is different with respect to:
- socio-economic conditions
- environmental conditions
- access to technology and infrastructure (electricity, suitable buildings, PCs, security, ...).
Projects/Initiatives for foundation and synergy
- development site for MobilED
- Mobiled v2 development site.
- python-mms - a python library for the creation, manipulation and encoding/decoding of MMS messages used in mobile phones.
- Mobiled v3: Entangled - a distributed hash table (DHT) based on Kademlia, as well as a peer-to-peer tuple space implementation.
- Mobiled v3 platform - development site (code only, currently hosted by UNICEF).
- OpenPhone: Dialogpalette - web site (includes the Asterisk TTS modules developed for the OpenPhone/MobilED projects).
- LWAZI - mobile access to public services in South Africa. Major project outputs likely to be usable in 2009.