Foundation Trades in Horticulture
- 1 Bridging & Foundation
- 2 Course Schedule 2018
- 3 Resources
- If you don’t have the required academic qualifications to study a programme you're interested in? Don't let this stop you! We have lots of options that act as a stepping stone to the programme of your choice.
- This is an exciting opportunity for our Natural Sciences Department to contribute to bridging and foundation studies at Otago Polytechnic.The students enrolled in this course will be involved in learning activities lead by experts so they can get a taste of what horticulture has to offer as a career move.
New Zealand Certificate in Foundation Skills (Level 2)
- Get a taste of what tertiary learning is all about and gain essential skills for study and work! Whatever your background, you can start somewhere. This foundation level programme is a great option if you want to re-engage with study and gain confidence and ability in literacy, numeracy and digital competency. You can study in either a general study or work context. The work context includes practical workshops and community based experiences.
New Zealand Certificate in Study and Career Preparation (Level 3)
- This programme offers you the chance to improve your study skills and prepare for higher level learning. It includes either a general study context or a work context. Along with improving your reading, writing, presenting and computer skills, you will also gain valuable employability skills such as CV and interview preparation, and how to write a cover letter. Depending on the course you choose, this programme offers work experience opportunities.
- Love the outdoors and practical work? This 17-week, Dunedin-based scheme for 16-25 year olds is run in partnership with the Malcam Charitable Trust and is a stepping stone into education and employment in the primary sector industry. You will take part in a work placement, improve your study skills, gain an Otago Polytechnic certificate qualification and learn how to put together a great CV!
Course Schedule 2018
- Meet Kim at Polygrow Nursery
- Welcome, attendance and Icebreaker
- Tour of permaculture garden-Permagrow
- Health and Safety is Everbody's Business
- What are some hazards associated with horticulture and how do we manage them?
- Manual handling
- Hazards associated with potting medias
- Wear clothing that can get dirty and appropriate footwear to protect your feet
- Focus on the job at hand
- Be aware of the emergency flip chart and we will see what are some of the things we would do in the unlikely case of an emergency.Know where the assembly point is located.
- Otago Polytechnic has a hazard register for every department and it is important for staff and students to be aware of the potential hazards associated with the teaching and learning in your area.If you identify a hazard please let a staff member know as soon as is possible.
- Health and safety
- Orientation/tour around L block and what is available in your learning space
- The LIVING CAMPUS
- Growing Pikao
- Make up a brew of compost tea and discuss benefits to plants
- Seed sowing
- What are the characteristics of a good seed raising mix?
- Make our own seed raising mix
- Welcome and attendance
- The following list is hands on stuff that we will do today: