Department of Zoology at ANDC/Zoology Museum/Museum specimens/Porifera/Euplectella
Common name: Venus flower basket
Found in abundance near the Philippine island and West Indies.
Found abundantly in deep waters at the depth of 500 to 5,000 meters in slow running water.
- Long curved, cylindrical body fastened in the mud of sea bottom by a mass of long siliceous root spicules.
- Size of individual varies from 15-30 cm in length and 2-5 cm in diameter.
- Skeleton consists of four and six- rayed siliceous spicules which are interlaced and fused at their tips forming a three dimensional network with parietal gaps.
- Canal system simple leuconoid, having thimble-shaped radial canals.
- Parietal gaps in the in the network of spicules connect with the spongocoel.