Definition and Characterisitcs of a Project
Project may be defined as a well designed interrelated set of activities, on which a pair or a group of students work together to solve a real-life problem.
The following characteristics help define effective project-based units:
Students are at the center of the learning process.
- The project focuses on important learning objectives aligned with syllabus guidelines.
- The project is driven by Curriculum-Framing Questions.
- The project involves ongoing and multiple types of assessment.
- The project involves connected tasks and activities that take place over a period of time.
- The project has real-world connections.
- Students demonstrate knowledge and skills through products and performances that are published, presented, or displayed.
- Technology supports and enhances student learning.
- Thinking skills are integral to project work.
- Varied instructional strategies support multiple learning styles.