Sales and Marketing/Activities/Enhancing the sale
Learning how to enhance a sale
A cross - sell occurs when a seller offers a buyer the opportunity to purchase allied products that go beyond the obvious core products eg. when you go to the Albatross Colony [] to take the tour but end up buying lunch at the cafe and purchasing some souvenirs from the shop.
Look at the following situations and provide a cross sell example:
1. Buying a car...example:
2. Having a checkup at the dentist...example:
3. Booking an airline ticket on the internet...example:
Now lets look at some tourism specific cross - selling
1. The customer is at the airport counter and rents a car. You, the sales representative offer...example:
2. Two novice skiers drive to a local mountain resort and purchase lift tickets. You, who sold the lift tickets to them, suggest...example:
3. A passenger is on an escorted motorcoach tour. You, the tour escort, offer...example:
4. You, the hotel's poolside attendant, provide towels for a couple. You suggest...example:
Be careful though - if any of the examples increases the quality or cost of the core product (eg.you buy a better airline ticket) then its not cross-selling. Its probably an upsell.