ASHS Coursebook: 3KOR (Level 3 Korean)
|Primary Learning Area:|
What is this course about?
The Land of Morning Calm is another name for Korea. In recent years this seemingly quiet country has become known by people living all over the world. Its recent impact with its popular music, dramas, movies, and technology can not be overlooked. This course is to learn about various aspects of this influential and dynamic country. If you want to deepen your knowledge of old and modern Korean history and culture in general, and you want to increase your employment opportunities in Korea in the future, this course will definitely appeal to you.
Course design principles:
intentional planning - you will be invited to select topics that you find interesting
high expectations - your teacher will have high expectations for you and her door will always be open for you to discuss where your learning is going
assessment which enables learning - assessment will not be an isolated occurence. Rather, your teacher will gather evidence that
you yourself provide of your learning experience as you progress.
What will I learn?
You will learn about:
- modern trends in Korea
- traditional celebrations and food
- ideal jobs and how to apply for jobs in Korea
- education in Korea and New Zealand
- Korean regions and what they are famous for
- history of the Korean language
- socio-economic concerns in South Korea (unemployment, social welfare, education, immigration)
- modern Korean history?
What sorts of things will I do?
- make a traditional Korean dish
- design posters promoting Korean as a foreign language
- express opinions about daily life and current trends in Korea
- interpret selected and adapted media (newspapers, magazines, television, movies and popular music)
- discuss socio-economic concerns in in South Korea (unemployment, social welfare, education, immigration)
- understand global issues from the Korean perspective and express opinions about them
- read Korean literature and express points of view
- research modern Korean history.
- watch Korean movies and discuss them by comparing trends
- read monthly magazines from Korea
- improve your Korean reading and writing ability
What standards can I enter?
|NCEA Level:||Domain:||Standard Number:||Name of standard:||Version Number:||Credits:||Assessment:|
|3||Korean||3.1||Demonstrate understanding of a variety of extended spoken Korean texts||1||5||External|
|3||Korean||3.2||Give a clear spoken presentation in Korean that communicates a critical response to stimulus material||1||3||Internal|
|3||Korean||3.3||Interact clearly using spoken Korean to explore and justify varied ideas and perspectives in different situations||1||6||Internal|
|3||Korean||3.4|| Demonstrate understanding of a variety of extended written and/or visual Korean texts
|3||Korean||3.5|| Write a variety of text types in clear Korean to explore and justify varied ideas and perspectives
||Total available credits:|| 24
No further assessment opportunities will be offered for this course, as evidence of your learning will be collected throughout the year.