Writing for Business Success/Assessment
PROBLEMS with assessment:
- Don't need Part 2 as currently drafted, because oral communication no longer part of CCOM101 (in CCOM102 instead, which is all about presentations)
- Part 1 combines a report and analysis/explanation of the report in one document. This will make it difficult for the learner to write a realistic report. The two aspects need to be split.
- Doesn't include anything about legal aspects of writing, which is in LO.
- There is too much of research component to this (need to find and read 5 articles minimum and use APA) - research isn't a learning outcome.
- Wide diversity of possible topics for business trend report, as well as diverse audiences and contexts, may make it difficult and time-consuming for the marker to assess the quality of the written work
- It is only one type of written communication with one audience - not much scope to do extensive/varied analysis
SUGGESTIONS Suggestion 1 See google docs for CCOM101 - Agreed to go for this one. SW CG
Suggestion 2 3 parts:
- Part 1 (50 per cent): Write a business trends report, based on some aspect of https://opentextbc.ca/introtourism/chapter/chapter-14-back-to-the-big-picture-globalization-and-trends/. 30% on report itself (450-500 words) and 20% on a separate analysis/justification of choices (200 words). Learner must choose context, purpose and audience (to help reduce risk of plagiarism).
Maybe give option for the learner to present a report of their own (of a minimum length) and explain/analyse it - this would enable them to use something that they have created in their own workplace if they are already at work. (But difficult to prove it is their own work. Also problem with revealing company info - would need to make sure it was totally anonymised and company couldn't be identified.)
- New part 2 (30 per cent) - draft an email to colleagues about some situation (to be specified in the instructions) which involves some legal implications (to be specified) - 250-300 words. (15 per cent) Analysis/explanation 150 words.(15 per cent)
- New part 3 (20 per cent)- analyse a given piece of business communication - 300 words. We would need to draft the communication - with good points and problems in it. Could put this into a scenario: a colleague has asked you to critique this - please send her your comments in an email.)