Procedure for Building the Water Filter
- Your teacher will provide you with: a two-liter soda bottle with the bottom cut off, another 2-liter soda bottle with the top part “neck” cut off and different filter materials such as potting soil, sand, gravel, kitty litter, pebbles, clay, moss, cheese cloth, marbles, and charcoal.
- Decide which filter materials you will be using for your filter.
- Make sure that the cap is still on the 2-liter soda bottle with the bottom cut off.
- Into this bottle place different layers of the filter materials in whatever order you believe will filter the pond/murky water the best.
- Carefully remove the cap from the bottle and place your filter into the other 2-liter soda bottle with the “neck” cut off. You may use tape to help hold these two bottles together.
- Measure out 100mL of your pond/murky water into a beaker.
- Carefully pour the 100mL of pond/murky water into your filter.
- Use a stop watch to record how long it takes for the water to move through your water filter.
- Observe what the water looks like after it goes through the filter.