Warrington School/ Final Gnu/Linux push
Final push for using only Gnu/Linux on the school computers....
This is the list that I have so far:
- Musac running via wine on the office computer and this machine set up to be running Ubuntu.
- Junior class has a couple of dual boot machines - switch them to Ubuntu, also need to load some edubuntu and other educational games to these machines.
- Room2 is struggling to save onto the server - error messages - there is work around ways (save to desktop and cut and paste).
- Room2 is not accessible from the admin computers - even when i have set them up the same as i did for room 1.
- Wireless in the admin - no password, and this needs a reset every day to be able to log on (in the morning i turn off the switches and all is ok) also Paul thought there was interference as both wireless routers were on the same channel. I added a better aerial to the school block wireless and rooom 3 now has better connectivity.
- Certificate verification for email on at least nparker, mbarnes and blilley email.
- Laser printer is not running in the library - have this running and printing from the teachers laptops.
- Sleep mode is happening for some of the latest donated computers (bios???) they begin loading then just go blank.
- Undertake an audit of all our computers to make sure we are not running any MS product and that the MS 95/98 certificate is compliant with what we need to run some of the MS scripts with Wine.
Request list for laptop/computers - Trisha
- to learn how to work with laptop and a projector
- to work on streaming audio/media files like real audio e.g. radio NZ news broadcasts
- to have software that can batch process photos (reduce their size) for uploading
- to write DVD's to backup my stuff (burn DVDs)
- A music client that allows me to upload songs to an ipod (or any content e.g. documentary)
- to learn how to upload software - how to install it onto computer eg. real audio player
- Laptop takes ages to start up if accidentally runs out of juice (often have to turn it off twice before it comes back on properly)
- laptop takes a while to close
- black spot on my laptop screen
My list of tricky computer tasks - Janine
- another lesson with photos, re sizing them for printing.
- writing emails while offline, can this be done?
- how to burn dvd disc from movie camera on to DVD
- how to access ubuntu education games for children.
- making a web page.