Warrington School/Board Of Trustees/Sexual and Physical Abuse
SEXUAL AND PHYSICAL ABUSE
- To take all responsible steps to protect and uphold the well being of children at risk from any form of abuse.
Source - s15-16 Chilfren, Young Persons and their Families Act 1989
- Adults will be receptive and sensitive to children and listen to their concerns.
- Any person who believes than any young child or persohas been, or is likely to be harmed,(whether physically, emotionall, or sexually),ill treated, abused, neglected, or deprived may report the matter to a Social Worker or to the Police.While anyone may report suspected cases of abuse to the authorities the Principal is the preferred first point of contact and is responsible for co-ordinating action.
- If the Principal is suspected the information is reported to a Board Member preferably the Chairperson.
- When the abuse stems from outside the family, parents are contacted and directed to the Child Protection Team.
- When abuse stems from inside the family the Child Protection Team is contacted.
- The Health Nurse and Police are resource people. Teachers or members of the school community who have concerns may discuss them with any one of these resource people or other appropriate authority.
- Confidentiality is maintained with information only being shared with those who have a need to know.
- Dated, accurate records of all relevant events are kept by those involved in cases where abuse is suspected.
- When insufficient information is available, the child is kept under observation and records are kept.
COMPLAINTS AGAINST STAFF INVOLVING SEXUAL ABUSE OF CHILDREN
- Once a helping agency is involved, the procedures as set out in the appropriate Employment Contract (i.e. Teachers Collective Employment Contract, Part 3 Complaints Against Teachers) will be followed.
- If appropriate (unless the Principal is the suspect) Principal will inform the Chairperson of the Board of Trustees.
- Both will advise the staff member to seek legal or union representation.
- The school will inform the union.
- The staff member will be suspended on full pay.
- This procedure will be reviewed according to the Board’s triennial self review timetable.
- Both the current version of the procedure and any proposed revisions to this procedure will be made available to staff, parents or other interested parties, for comment and review.
- The board will make its review report available to parents and staff.