Education Outside The Classroom Policy (EOTC)
NAGs 1, 4, 5 New Zealand Schools OER Portal/Governance May 2011
To use the outdoors to enrich all aspects of the curriculum and provide further opportunities for learning, personal growth and social development
EOTC programmes in this school will be designed to:
- Enhance learning through a variety of well-designed, first hand experiences.
- Help students develop self-confidence and a sense of adventure.
- Assist students in their social development by placing them with others in unfamiliar situations.
- Help students develop an attitude of responsibility, particularly towards their own safety and that of others.
- Increase students’ knowledge, understanding and appreciation of the school area, local district and other places, including some unfamiliar places.
Warrington School will:
- Offer students a variety of challenging Outdoor Education experiences.
- Communicate effectively and consult with parents and caregivers during key planning stages including financial, accommodation and transport arrangements.
- Work to remove barriers to participation for both staff and students. .
- Ensure adequate, ongoing evaluation and annual review of EOTC programmes and activities. Review information to be reported to BOT. .
- Comply with all Ministry of Education and HPC regulations and guidelines on safety, supervision, risk management, leadership and consultation. Relevance to the curriculum.
- Ensure that all teachers are provided with relevant training for EOTC activities.
EOTC programmes take into account:
- The environment and the suitability of available facilities and activities.
- The needs, capabilities and experiences, of the children.
- Skills and experience of staff, parents and EOTC resource personnel and financial considerations.
- Safety of children and equipment.
- Relevance to the curriculum.
- Suitability to both genders.
1. This policy will be reviewed according to the Board’s self review timetable. 2. All changes can be tracked via this wiki history tab.
Relevant Policies and Documents
- Health and Safety Policy
- Warrington SChool Safety Management Plan
- Ministry of Education -Frequently Asked Questions (Education Outside the Classroom)
- HPC Guidelines for EOTC Handbook