VirtualMV/Digital Learning Technologies/Extending wikis and blogs/WordPress
|Digital Learning Technologies|
|Extending wikis and blogs||MediaWiki | WordPress | Blogger|
WordPress allows for Extensions and Widgets.
Extensions need to be added to the server by an administrator, whereas widgets can be added by users. (Note that widgets can be added to your blog via an extension)
For a WordPress.com website, you only have the ability to add widgets (not extensions). In order to add extensions you need to have access to the Web Server that is hosting your site.
A Widget is a fancy word for tools or content that you can add, arrange, and remove from the sidebars of your blog. Widgets make it easy to customize the content of your blog sidebar. Adding a widget to a WordPress.com web site is done from the Dashboard (login first), using the Appearance Tab.
To see the widgets operating see my wiki : http://virtualmv.wordpress.com
Assessed Activity 4.3 (2016) Adding widgets to your WordPress blog
Wordpress in MediaWiki
The following code allow you to put an RSS feed into mediawiki
<rss max=4 item-max-length="250">https://virtualmv.wordpress.com/feed/</rss>
And looks like
- Hi everyone, This is the last post for my WordPress blog. It has been a reliable environment however it is time to consolidate my many web sites. I am moving to a Google platform to allow me to use some of the analytics features and gives me a lit...
- — virtualmv 2016-09-08 04:48:13
- — virtualmv 2016-09-02 21:02:07
- Giving a hug. Solving a mystery. Telling a story. .. And Folding laundry? http://www.npr.org/sections/ed/2016/08/02/479187579/3-things-people-can-do-in-the-classroom-that-robots-cant?utm_campaign=storyshare
- — virtualmv 2016-09-01 19:56:47
- How do you create a transparent background in an image in Photoshop? https://sites.google.com/site/virtualmvwiki/home/multimedia/graphics/graphics-techniques/graphics-techniques-remove-background
- — virtualmv 2016-09-01 11:35:25
You can flash this up by enclosing in a div tag