VUSSC/Content/Tourism/The Tourism System/Why people travel
Have you ever wanted to get away from the normal everyday activities of life? If yes, what were your reasons?
Motivations for travel:
- Visiting friends and relatives
- Vacation or Pleasure
- Opportunity to broaden their frame of reference – education, wanderlust
- Religion – pilgrimages
- Sport or cultural purposes
Factors that influence travel decisions
2. Distance between countries
3. Attractions – natural and man-made
4. Communications – transportation infrastructure – can it be traveled by one means of transport or node of transport
6. Cultural links / Language
7. Political factors
Why do tour guides need to know the motivations for travel?
Tour-guides need to be familiar with the places where people come, as this affects the ways people behave. Tour-guides need to be aware of cultural differences and the expectations and level of service may vary.