- 1 Web 2.0 For Development Training at Kizimabani Zanzibar, Tanzania
- 1.1 The Discussed Components in the Training
- 1.1.1 Web 2.0 Concepts and Principles
- 1.1.2 Selective Access to Information
- 1.1.3 Remote Collaboration
- 1.1.4 VoIP (voice of Internet Protocols)
- 1.1.5 Online Mapping
- 1.1.6 Blogging and Micro blogging
- 1.1.7 Social Networking
- 1.1.8 Introduction to the use of iMARK Module “Web 2.0 and Social Media for Development”
- 1.1 The Discussed Components in the Training
Web 2.0 For Development Training at Kizimabani Zanzibar, Tanzania
"Web 2.0" training opportunity started just as other courses we have been participating in the country and elsewhere in the world. The course is conducted by Technical Centre for Agriculture and Rural Co-operation ACP-EU (CTA). It aims at training people to access digital information via internet and facilitates knowledge sharing.
We applied for the course sometimes in October, 2011 when it was first advertised on the Internet. Some get to know about the course through their respective organizations and some of us through email. In December 2011, we received notifications that we are selected for the course to be held at Kizimbani Agriculture Training Institute from 16th January to 20th January 2012.
The Discussed Components in the Training
Web 2.0 Concepts and Principles
Introduction to web 2.0 opportunities and threats
- It is called web 2.0 technology because it allows two way communication
- Simplify the webmaster work/responsibilities.
- Simplify to collaborate with other people.
- Making the information to come to you rather than to follow them.
- Simplify in doing researches, survey, thesis and even having current statistics.
- It is a simple way of using copy left materials.
- It might be threat for the community culture.
Selective Access to Information
This is distributed in two ways (searching using the machine and by directory)
- Reduce number of results in search engine to strike the specific item you need.
- Many technique of searching materials including file format specifying.
- Searching documents prepared in different country with their own languages and translate to a wanted language.
- Using the Google page translated in other language
- Translate word, phrase, sentence or even article/document to another language you want.
- Special sites those may help to get copy left full material online.
- Searching on knowing the ISO country codes that may simplify finding the websites.
- Drawing graphs in Google engines by inserting the equations.
- Some common sites for easy searching/sharing the copy left material including: www.ocw.mit.edu www.cnx.org www.creativecommons.org www.scirus.org www.aida.developmentgateway.org www.zunia.org www.google.com/baraza and www.dmoz.org for directory searching.
- This helps the specified information to be delivered to you instead to browse many pages to find them.
- The alert may be read in your email or Google reader.
- Procedure on creating alerts from: www.google.com/alerts then following with procedures as instructed.
- Manage the alerts.
RSS (Really Simple Syndication)
This helps the user to receive any update information to those website publishing the RSS feeding like www.cnn.com
- The user must have the Google account for this particular course.
- Check the website having the RSS feeds like www.cnn.com
- Subscribe the link of RSS feed to your www.google.com/reader
- Creating the online desktop using www.google.com/igoogle
- Removing the unwanted and adding the needed gadgets in your online desktop.
- Finding more gadgets in Google search engine to add into your online desktop.
- Online desktop is Helpful to see many things in one page including your email account, alerts, RSS feeds from Google reader.
- Helpful in simplification of getting research data from other partners.
- Brief: “research topic” to RSS Feed to Google reader to statistics/whatever.
This include the Upload and Publish Mode
- Helpful for uploading/publish the research documents for contributions.
- Support sharing of idea in unlimited number of people.
- Read many copy left document from www.wikimedia.org for their categories including wikinews, wikiversity, wikibooks and Wikipedia.
- Uploading the contents to the Wikimedia via www.wikieducator.org
- Formatting the uploaded content.
- Having the different images from www.commons.wikimedia
- Procedures for uploading align and describe the image.
- Conducting discussions with your fellows through wiki.
- Editing and deleting your fellow’s work and recover the work.
- Impossible to remove the uploaded file(s) in Wikimedia permanently.
This allow sharing documents, getting feedback from the comments and discussions made by your fellows to your or someone else document at real time.
- Procedure on creating Google Docs
- To open the document and add the users to share the documents.
- Conduction of chart room discussion
- This is helpful for meeting announcements, online registration form processing.
- Capturing emails from company having emails of the same specific domains using email extractor.
- We can see the data for the filled form at a real time as required in election or otherwise.
- Google docs is mostly used in small controlled group of user while wiki is used for anonymous people
VoIP (voice of Internet Protocols)
This is mainly used to share information using voice call, video call, charting and join with the friend presentations online for mostly free. There are many sites used for this application but the most popular one is www.skype.com.
- Used in charting, audio call, video calls.
- Chart groups can be created using Skype.
- Video call to only one person is supported.
- Voice call for up to eight people at a moment is supported.
- Presentation sharing.
- Sharing of file of .dcx, pdf, for notes distribution or .jpg for picture sharing and others in Skype groups.
Google Talk (Video, SMS and IM Charts)
This is mostly resembled in Skype. Other sites that can be used to call for free from website to mobile including www.voipbuster.com by installing the free software related to this application.
This is used to find the location, area, distance of the paths and even estimated time to reach the location by foot/car and others.
- This is free mapping services offered by Google.
- Map view can be in satellite or terrain form.
- The link to obtain the Google map is www.maps.google.com.
- Placed for a single point, area block, drawing the path and locate the map region.
Blogging and Micro blogging
This is portion that user can post his/her own or any interested information and sharing ideas, pictures and videos.
Blogger or Word Press
- Procedure on creating the blog.
- View the blog.
- Post the information to the blog.
- Adding/editing and removing the posts of the bog.
- The posts are arranging the latest at the top.
- Sharing of video, and anything from external sources within the blog by embedding the codes behind it.
- The operation of the blog can be done within the Dashboard of the blog.
Micro blogging (Twitter)
This micro blogging have higher frequency by asking/ answering question every second in a day compare with the normal blog.
- This can be used to post the information using the symbol # before the word.
- There the people who follow you and you follow them.
- This is available by joining to www.twitter.com and follow the procedures.
This is the easiest way of interacting with the people having some common ideas. There are many sites for this application including www.facebook.com www.linkedin.com and others.
Social Networking among Professionals (LinkedIn)
- This mainly connects to professionals and exchanges the experiences.
Social Networking for Institutions (Face book)
- This is used for publicize the products.
- To join with many groups providing good information.
- Face book page creating.
- Preventing some people not to see your information and conversation with others.
- Face book is not only for charting and youth but also it is helpful for many things.
Risk and Mitigating Measures
- Risk (loss of privacy and others)
Introduction to the use of iMARK Module “Web 2.0 and Social Media for Development”
This is mainly concern with the use of the tool kit from CTA from the special sites and groups, mainly in www.imarkgroup.org