John Seely Brown describes mobile devices as "curiosity amplifiers"
- instruction is only half the battle, what he calls provocation being the other half. --Tyndall quoting Emerson
2020.8.24 https://www.lexialearning.com/blog/how-phones-can-increase-learning-all-types-students some good suggestions here . kids need to learn time management and deal with distractions like having access to smartphone games whenever . learning objective and acceptable products to demonstrate and learn . prepare for the next day's lesson assignment to come prepared to teach or contribute partner share ready to evaluate . reading writing listening speaking . choices research time bellringer . check in real time . translation foreign language learning . ELL . playlists shared on class site required and choices for depth and breadth for flexible access . students can add and share
audio voice . text to speech , speech to text
2020.5 devices of little $ value wifi sometime offline mostly device phones home when it can for offloading tracking uploading refined personalized learning personalized Downes definitions technology supported research resources cbb
diigo mobile mlearning glxdev k-3 dev4x . teched tech supported learning . phone cell not smart .
byxbee lectriclibrary twitter facebook wikieducator oer
wikieducator . game player 2007 sms record / playback audio video media players gaming ? game content distribution
teaching deliver text images links audio video . record explain once > delivery any many .
learning explore inquire direct peer-instruction poll survey feedback document assess
2020.8 low tech phones cheap device prepaid plan cheap reliable access b can use wifi if available installed apps work offline upload send work
many unknowns issues access to technology - wifi internet devices ideas research
2014 library iPads
- projects for grades 3-4
- pictures > observations
- hour of code, scratch - flash
- homework - technology to produce
- practice - math games
- personal dashboard, tracking progress
- Kahn Academy - exploration, enrichment
after-school / byo
- country fair projects * pictures, descriptions > blog, site * projects
- phones, tablets ? 1/ 4 * apps - math games ? get more - free, purchase
Bring Your Own... Technology (BYOT), Device (BYOD) School provides WiFi. Students may use their smartphones or tablets. The general idea is the same and usually works as one of these...
- school determines what technology - devices, apps
- student and/or family decides, provides, pays for, installs, maintains, replaces,...
- documents - new, save, reopen, edit, delete
- save work to a USB drive
- upload an assignment file to designated web location
- create an account for a web service
- participate in an online discussion
- searching - Google, other search engines, repositories
- validating sources
There's an app for that
- apps - locate, buy, install, update, launch, close
- 2014.09 - get their own? training - care and feeding, pedagogy, class management apps, requesting apps, tech support, best practices, lesson plans, basic functionality - iPads for Dummies
- 2014.09 - contracts, care and feeding, take home, what they already know, byo vs school ipads - apps, access, use
FAQs Media center
- 2014.09 - handling, use, additional resources for use in media center, middle school bring own in, other classes, individual kids
FAQs Tech support
- 2014.09 - contracts, repair, loss, process for reimage, apps - add, remove, free, purchase, teacher training, support
- Let the Tools Become the Box - John Seely Brown describes mobile devices as "curiosity amplifiers." Given the potential for creation and exploration, these technologies provide students with a platform for exploration and knowledge construction. The challenge is to seek out the empty and timeless tools, to find the apps that give students the most options for how they demonstrate their learning. In other words, we need to let the tools become the box.
- ipads minis - middle school, library, basic apps, covers, assign to each kids (photo as wallpaper, recharge/ updated in carts at night, teachers request apps > images on all updated
- tech meeting - suggestions, laptops for middle, ipads elementary, textbook replacements, ?? ipads on contract