CREATION OF GROUPS
WHAT ARE GROUPS?:-
Groups are a object type, internet communication tool, which allows users to be grouped together
for various purposes. The main interest in this is to maintain security, by granting access rights to groups instead of individual users.
Group is Collection of individuals who have regular contact and frequent interaction, mutual influence, common feeling of camaraderie, and who work together to achieve a common set of goals. Groups allow collaboration between users with a common interest. For example, a group might be formed for communications. Each group can have subscribers that maintains a group home page where subscribers communicate amongst themselves. The user creating the group is the moderator and determines who can belong to the groups. Basically groups are combination of forum and emailing. There are many types of groups:
Examples of groups are :-
yahoo groups, google groups, groups vbs, focus groups, ethnic groups, animal groups, social groups, groups math, Uses of groups in which we can join business groups , news groups , health groups, art groups , recreation groups, school university groups, science groups , humanity groups etc
How to Create a Google Group:-
Google is now offering a viable alternative for email groups. Google Groups offer the ability to upload files and make pages as well as exchange emails. Google groups is easy to use, and it's free.
Steps for creating Google groups
1.Log into your Google account. This gives you access to all of Google's applications, including Google groups.
2.Select the option groups under services in the right hand column. This will take you to the Google group page.
3.Choose the "Create" button. You will find it located at the top of the right-hand column. This will take you to another page.
4.Fill in the form for the new Google group. Google will have you pick a name and email address exclusive to your group. Add a 300-character description and choose an access level.
5.Add email addresses of those you would like to invite to join your Google group. Adding a personalized message to your invite is an option as well. There is an option to skip this step and do it later.
6.Personalize your Google group. This section lets up upload files, create pages and change your settings.
7.Build your Google group. Read and follow the Terms of Service. They discuss the copyright laws and sexually explicit conduct. Anyone found violating the Terms of Service, will have his or her account terminated.
Educational Implications of groups:-Eg-Google groups
1. Very easy to understand by school students.
2. Lots of Google groups Tutorials are available. eg- <object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/29n6xm1dLiI?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/29n6xm1dLiI?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>
3. Enhance cooperative learning.
4. Help to share different views of similar choice and experts in whole world.
5. Quick mailing and sharing ideas and conversation to get different views from different areas of world.
6. Discovered the educational value of social interaction.
7. Quick sharing of feedback and motivation.
8. Help in classroom management.
9. Help teacher to provide information on topic, assignments and there informal evaluations.
10. Help in getting and providing informations about vacancies, uploading portfolios.