User:Randyfisher/Rutgers/Google Docs for teaching
Google Docs: Set-Up
In this course, we will use Google Docs.
- All papers MUST be submitted via Google Docs (shareable link), unless otherwise specified.
- All students have a Google Drive account. (Your Scarlet Email is Google Mail (Gmail)
- You can use Scarletmail or you own personal Gmail account for the class.
- Students will be asked to give their preferred email address on a Google Sheet - and a link will be sent to access the Course Folder
- Students can create a document in Google Drive directly OR upload a Microsoft Word (*.doc / *.docx) to Google Drive.
Google Docs: Naming Convention
- Documents MUST be named this way: FIRST NAME, FIRST LETTER OF LAST NAME Assignment Name. (For example, RANDYF Resume and Cover Letter).
- Assignment names include: Resume and Cover Letter; Midterm Paper; Oral Presentation; Final Paper
Google Docs: Sharing with Your Instructor
- Sharing in Google always involves using a URL / hyperlink. The file stays in the owner's (student's) Drive.
- Student 'shares' his / her files with the instructor with a shareable URL / hyperlink.
- Student invites the instructor to Comment on the document by Selecting the file in Google Docs; Right-Clicking and Select Share.
- A Dialogue box will appear with the following information: "Anyone with the link can view".
- Change this to "ANYONE WITH THE LINK CAN EDIT"
- Under "PEOPLE" - type Instructor's Gmail Address randyfishercan AT gmail.com
- Be sure to click the pencil / drop down menu to: "CAN EDIT"
- Then "ADD A NOTE" - (this can be Assignment Submitted).
- Click "DONE".
Google Docs: How Commenting Works
- Instructor does NOT change the originally submitted file to grade and comment. (It will be saved in a dedicated folder for future reference).
- Instructor makes a copy of the student's file - and reviews and comments on the file.
- Instructor emails student to notify him / her - via Google Docs - when comments are completed.
- Student receives the email, and is then invited to comment.
Google Docs: How To Video (Sharing Links) & Help Files
- Video: Get a Shareable Link to Your Documents on Google Drive
- Youtube Video URL - https://youtu.be/YJC4sKRYSRg)
- For more information, visit: Google Support - https://support.google.com